Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Van Halen  (Read 4058 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 04:19:09 am »

Silly AC/DC side note:  when I first heard "Dirty Deeds"  I seriously thought it was "Thirty Thieves and the Thunder Chief," and along with what I thought was a stereotypical aboriginal-style drum beat, I thought they were being underlying racist.  I thought this for probably 10 years or longer before I realized my mistake.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 04:47:10 am »

Silly AC/DC side note:  when I first heard "Dirty Deeds"  I seriously thought it was "Thirty Thieves and the Thunder Chief," and along with what I thought was a stereotypical aboriginal-style drum beat, I thought they were being underlying racist.  I thought this for probably 10 years or longer before I realized my mistake.

hell of a mondegreen...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 05:25:09 am »

What am I, 900 years old now? I watched two and a half minutes and thought "self-indulgent".

If it means anything, I felt that way when I first heard it in my late teen/early twenties.

I did listen to Ain't Talking 'Bout Love for the first time for real a few minutes and that is a pretty alright song if the singer wasn't there.  I really have a thing for songs that don't change though.

Also, as I understand the dude uses a shit load of phaser and there is phaser on those two tracks (eruption and ain't talking bout love) and, man, you just shouldn't use that much phaser, or any of those effects.  Some yeah, but like, I don't know, two songs per album.  Exception-  you are using a flanger and yer band is Olivia Tremor Control.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 04:54:06 pm »

I am a really big fan of the way that sometimes a 12-string guitar sounds like permanent phaser. YEAH.

I hated guitar playing like EVH until very recently, when I saw Decline and Fall of Western Civilization: The Metal Years. This kind of guitar playing comes out of a similar testosterone-filled teenage male impulse as punk music does. HOLY SHIT, I'M A MAN, LOOK AT MY GUITAR PLAYING. LOOK AT IT. HOLY SHIT, THESE LOUD NOISES! YEAHH! I'M GOING TO PLAY SO FAST! AHHHHHHHH MY DICKKKKKKKKKBOOOOONNEEEEE!

I can only take it for so long, though. That super-long video is a bit much. But the album version of Eruption, where it's just all these un-connected flashy riffs... I just can't hate something that weird and goofy and testosterone filled.


I originally heard "Dirty Deeds and they're done to sheep."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 05:07:05 pm »

I originally heard "Dirty Deeds and they're done to sheep."

Ha! Bon Scott always hated those sheep fuckers to the east.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 05:20:35 pm »

ALSO: who brought up AC/DC? Because I am straight torn on that one. Back in Black is maybe one of the seminal albums in my world. But what came before and was interrupted could might ought have been even greater than what came later (even though it is awesome on a bun for me, still).

So yeah, hella conflicted on AC/DC.

That was me. If there's a thread about late 70s rock, I can't seem to help bringing them up. To me, there is no doubt they would have been greater. Bon Scott AC/DC is like the best hard-blues-rock ever made. The band had started to work on Back in Black before Bon died, and it kills me to think how much more awesome it could have been if he had helped to complete it. And it certainly wouldn't have been their last great album. I know tons of people love Brian Johnson AC/DC, but for me, it's wildly inconsistent (except Back in Black, which kicks fuck*ng ass), and at its best it still doesn't even come close to touching something like, say, Squealer. Goddamn.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 07:09:11 pm »

I don't think AC/DC is in the same category - I don't think there are camps where they can't abide the other guy. I think VH is mostly that way. I mean, for me Bon is better, but Brian Johnson isn't terrible.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 07:31:57 pm »

I don't think AC/DC is in the same category - I don't think there are camps where they can't abide the other guy. I think VH is mostly that way. I mean, for me Bon is better, but Brian Johnson isn't terrible.

Does Brian Johnson play bagpipes?  More to the point, did Brian Johnson create the greatest bagpipe including rock song of all time?  No?  Fuck that guy.

As someone who kinda likes Bon Scott AC/DC (mainly Long way to the top...) I don't really dig Brian Johnson Ac/dc, but yeah, I ain't really a fan of either I suppose, so maybe that is the difference.

Actually, after going through some early AC/DC on youtube, I think I do like them.  Last time this happened though I downloaded some of their albums and didn't dig them.  Also, watching them on the It's a Long... video (the one with them on a truck driving through Melbourne) I remembered I am living with this Australian hipster (in a good way- I am tired of having hipster have negative connotations, those people should be called scensters or something).  He is cool and has the same name as me, so we can be all "hey Jough" then the other person an say likewise.  Or sometimes one of us will say the name and then both of us say squared in a corny way.  It is fun!

He is here for a month until he goes to Mexico to do some oceanography volunteering then is spending like a year in South America/Central America.  All we have done is get high and listen to music, but I have yet to make him listen to Tropicalismo (Os Mutantes, Caetano Veloso, Tom Ze).  He is leaving in ten days now, I got to get on that.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:00:57 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 07:55:30 pm »

Brian Johnson also doesn't play the recorder. I won't link to it, because I've linked to it like five times here.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2011, 08:22:26 pm »

I don't think AC/DC is in the same category - I don't think there are camps where they can't abide the other guy. I think VH is mostly that way. I mean, for me Bon is better, but Brian Johnson isn't terrible.

Oh, definitely. Which is why included the following disclaimer in my first post.

It's kind of like AC/DC (but not really at all).

As I said above, I just tend to bring them up on any remotely related thread. However, while I don't hate Brian Johnson, I don't particularly like him either.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Van Halen
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2011, 08:46:48 pm »

I don't think AC/DC is in the same category - I don't think there are camps where they can't abide the other guy. I think VH is mostly that way. I mean, for me Bon is better, but Brian Johnson isn't terrible.

Well I'm kinda like that with Van Halen too.  The difference, obviously is that Angus didn't suddenly decide to start playing fuck*ng synth.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up