The knowledge I can bring to the table on this is that in my work for a child protection agency I've seen a mother enact a terror campaign on her children, and in a separate case on her partner, where I've come across hundreds of men who abuse their partners or children. When it comes to domestic violence, the stats are rock solid that men abuse women drastically more often than the other way around. Anyone debating whether gaslighting is a societal problem need only look as such stats or look back less than a hundred years and read about the history of hysteria as a common psychiatric diagnosis, which was basically the belief the women having any unsavory or inconvenient emotions was some how a medical illness.
The thing is though, when it comes to JL's ex-whatever, what I see is someone who is choosing to remain ignorant. It's not as though the solid facts aren't there. It's that it is far more comfortable for him to live in denial and not be accountable. We're all responsible to looking at our own shit, and the shit past generations have foisted upon us and to examine the good and bad and learn from both. Otherwise, being stuck is a terrible place to be.
RE: miles - being "too sensitive" I honestly believe every person has a right to have their feelings and to express them. If you're talking about being excessively saddened or angered by certain things, then the emotional responses are valid, but could point to it being useful to exploring the causes of underlying depression, anxiety, anger, etc.