Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Hunter Gatherer Diet  (Read 5561 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunter Gatherer Diet
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 03:16:55 pm »

I have a friend who is a naturopath and she recommends eating as much food as possible from what would be the traditional diet of your ancestors (which varies depending on where your people are from).  For me that's things like bison, local giraffe, berries, squash, possibly corn and nuts (hard to know how far my ancestors wandered south).   I do think that increasing the amount of locally sourced, unprocessed food makes my body feel better, but I am by no means adhearant to only eating an ancestral diet.  

The thing I really think about this:  our ancestors lived short, brutal lives.  When they didn't die due to circumstance they typically still died young of disease, virus or other such cause.  I'm happy I get to live beyond 40, and to get to keep a full mouth of teeth into old age.  If you look at people of the Inuit of the far north, who still must depend predominantly on a traditional diet because food shipped that far north costs too much to make it accessable, you'll see a group of people who are free of some of the typical 21st century health issues, but people who have poor dental health and who don't live into old age.  

When it comes to all those eating fads out there, I'm skeptical.  We live in this world, in 2011.  The world (and your heart) will not stop of you eat a Dorito now and then.  People get so extremist about this shit (to the point where it looks a hell of a lot like disordered eating) when really it's just about not bullshitting yourself and eating and living responsibly.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 06:20:45 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunter Gatherer Diet
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 04:36:32 pm »

Thank you wombles. I swear to jeebus I lay that kind of rap on some asshole at least once a week.

You should buy them all copies of my book! Coming out October 4! It's only about the animals part of it, but it's a start. And so much cheaper than my first book!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunter Gatherer Diet
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 05:19:25 pm »

The cover would make great stickers. Perhaps I should think about this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Hunter Gatherer Diet
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 05:48:23 pm »

my diet is that I eat what I think is "good food" that grownups should eat, and then every once in a while I realize that all I eat is meat and cheese and potatoes and rice and sodium. Oops. I eat veggies when they are smooshed into some sort of stew or indian sauce.

Recently, with the cold weather, I started wearing long ##### again. Suddenly all of my skinny ##### are uncomfortably tight. Oops.

People also say you shouldn't eat late at night, but I get off work at 10pm three days a week. I typically eat my biggest meal right before I go to sleep, because at the end of the day I am freaking HUNGRY.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:51:50 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunter Gatherer Diet
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 07:26:22 pm »

FOOD CHAIN!  GET USED TO IT!
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: The Hunter Gatherer Diet
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 07:30:56 pm »

I eat breakfast and lunch and that's it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up