Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Twenty years after Nevermind  (Read 5737 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 09:15:11 am »

I gave you a can for calling Pearl Jam a dry hump.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 01:33:04 pm »

What miles said.  I was actually more into Ten at the time it came out, but now when I listen to it, it sounds dated while Nevermind still has listenablity for me.  When it comes to current Pearl Jam I'm mostly indifferent, except for Just Breathe, which I liked a bit and the Into the Wild soundtrack Vedder did a while back, which I quit liked.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 01:36:25 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 01:58:23 pm »

Plus, I'd been listening to Pearl Jam for a few years by the time Nirvana came around, and they seemed like they were trying to do the Eddie Vedder thing but without as much soul, which turned me off.

I just realized that probably you meant something like you were listening to Pearl Jam for a few years before you started listening to Nirvana, instead of Nirvana was riding Pearl Jam's coattails. Sorry for being a dick. I'm sensitive about being a dick when it comes to music because an ex-girlfriend called me a music snob, mostly because I hate Michael Franti I think, but yeah. The Kurt trying to do Eddie without soul comment still seems crazy though. Mostly because they are so different.

When it comes to current Pearl Jam I'm mostly indifferent, except for Just Breathe, which I liked a bit and the Into the Wild soundtrack Vedder did a while back, which I quit liked.

Exactly. I know people who still go wild over each Pearl Jam release, but to me they've done nothing worthwhile since Vitalogy (which may have aged the best out of all of their early stuff). I haven't been able to listen to an entire album since that one.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 06:23:03 pm »

.
...to me they've done nothing worthwhile since Vitalogy (which may have aged the best out of all of their early stuff). I haven't been able to listen to an entire album since that one.

Yield was a great album, but it's in the wrong order on the disc. If you reorder the tracks to match the order in the liner notes, the album is completely different and much better in my opinion. Other than that, I agree
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 01:52:45 am »

I just realized that probably you meant something like you were listening to Pearl Jam for a few years before you started listening to Nirvana, instead of Nirvana was riding Pearl Jam's coattails. Sorry for being a dick. I'm sensitive about being a dick when it comes to music because an ex-girlfriend called me a music snob, mostly because I hate Michael Franti I think, but yeah. The Kurt trying to do Eddie without soul comment still seems crazy though. Mostly because they are so different.


Nah, I'm not very clued in about music at all and actually didn't realize that Nirvana actually existed as a band before Pearl Jam did. The only thing I think you misconstrued is that I thought Kurt was trying to do Eddie, but what I meant was that the sound of the band seemed like it was reaching for the grittiness of PJ and falling ever short. Kurt and Eddie have really different vocal styles, no question. But it always seemed to me like PJ had a kind of raw sound, and Nirvana sounded a little more polished, but sort of by accident?

I don't even think *I* know what I'm trying to say any more. But I do agree that PJ sounds very dated now, which is fine with me because I really enjoy music that hearkens back to a very specific time. That's why I have been listening to a lot of bebop lately, it's so specific to its time that it kind of makes your mouth water.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 01:41:38 am »

True, sounding dated is not necessarily a bad thing.

What's everyone's favorite Nirvana song? Mine is Aneurysm, hands down. The Hormoaning version, though (also, or originally the b-side on the SLTS single), not the one on Incesticide. My second favorite is probably Dive. Favorite song on NM, that's tough. Lately probably Lounge Act.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 01:52:14 am »

Is it bad to say Heart-Shaped Box? Does that make me too mainstream?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 01:58:17 am »

my favorite is the unplugged cover of "the man who sold the world".
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 02:17:28 am »

Tough call. Probably "Lithium."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 03:14:04 am »

There are like three songs on Nevermind and they are all like the same song in my mind.  They all three rock hard and come one right after the other. Let's see, Come as you Are, Lithium, and In Bloom.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 03:37:40 am »

Is it bad to say Heart-Shaped Box? Does that make me too mainstream?

No. I didn't mean to make my selections sound esoteric. I was going to say there is no wrong answer, but there are probably a handful.

my favorite is the unplugged cover of "the man who sold the world".

But if you select a cover, you must also select an original.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 03:51:26 am »

No. I didn't mean to make my selections sound esoteric. I was going to say there is no wrong answer, but there are probably a handful.

But if you select a cover, you must also select an original.

fiiiiine.  all apologies
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 02:45:08 pm »

I always preferred Stone Temple Pilots. (I kid.)

I was really more into PJ, but plenty into Nirvana. The only issue is that Ed is clearly a total douchebag. A guy at the record store way back when talked me into buying Bleach when it first came out and I had a little trouble getting into it. Of course, when Nevermind came out, that was plenty accessible.

I like "Polly", although it's really unpleasant.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 04:29:01 pm »

The only issue is that Ed is clearly a total douchebag.

Remember a little while ago when he was apologizing for rocking out back in the early days?  Ha ha,  what a tool.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Twenty years after Nevermind
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 07:51:44 pm »

What he really should apologize for is for marrying a model.  fuck*ng hypocrit. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up