Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: "Weird Al" Reevaluated  (Read 10402 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 09:25:40 pm »

I love TMBG. I haven't listened to them in a while, but a few months ago I listened to Dial-a-Song and really enjoyed it. But I don't know if I would like TMBG if I were exposed to them for the first time tomorrow.

I think this proves my point about different strokes perfectly.  I have tried and tried to like TMBG (mostly because there are a lot of fans on this board), but it just ain't happening.  I don't find them funny and their music is annoying to me.

I'll bet those snobs I had dinner with last night love TMBG

I think one of my favorite little jokes in The Wire is when two of the drug-runners are driving around Philidelphia, and the first station they find on the dial is NPR. PHC is on, and one of them says something like "is this what [people] listen to in Philly??" And then for the rest of the scene, through all of the tense things that happen, Garrison Keillor is in the background.

That scene totally cracked me up.  It's one of my favorite scenes in the whole series. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 09:28:42 pm »

As long as it ain't a PBR, brother, I will buy you that beer.

You are a rad dude, you just sometimes remind me so much of myself ten years ago that sometimes I end up needling/joshing with my younger self through you sometimes.

But yeah, in person it is a lot more obvious the difference between when I am exaggerating my opinion times three for fun and when I am actually being a Man with The Anxiety.

Maybe something along the lines of a Saranac Black and Tan, inexpensive but not painfully cheap, brewed in Utica a half hour drive from where I was brewed.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 09:33:37 pm »

good lord do I hate me some PBR. I am really annoyed with myself because this guy was mean to me about not liking cheap beer the other day, and i should have gotten into it with him.

I think a lot about how much money I could be saving if i didn't drink nice beer, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 10:30:11 pm »

I always imagine we would get along a lot better if we met in Bushwick over a beer. One day this should happen.

I would like to be eavesdropping from the next table when this happens.

I was a huge Garrison Keillor fan back when the show first started but I can't stand it anymore. I felt like a point came when he was so famous, no one would say "no" to him anymore and tell him stuff like, people really don't listen to the show to hear him sing. Sometimes it's better if things that you love don't go on forever.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 11:10:05 pm »

See? We agree on not liking cheap beer as some kind of fuck*ng pose!

I would'a helped you fight him!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 11:35:48 pm »

to be honest, most of my friends like cheap beer because they like it, and because it is cheap. They have a "there's a time and a place" attitude towards cheap beer. This guy, though, was being a dick about it.

If I had thought it through a little more, I would have pointed out how funny it is that a guy who agonizes about how local his meat should be drinks mass-market swill beer.
(I'm sure he has some ready-made response about how local AB-InBev is, to which I would have pointed out that Monsanto is also a local company-- maybe he should support them instead of buying organic/local produce!)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2011, 12:47:15 am »

I'll go so far as to say that Weird Al fans are a cult, like Trekkies maybe.  We are a nerd cult.  It's not for everyone, but that's alright.

I'm pretty sure my case isn't typical, but I was spoonfed comedy records as a child by my mother.  The main godhead of comedy music in my mind is and will always be Spike Jones.  Even Weird Al agrees.

I caved and googled Allan Sherman, and realized that I do know some of his stuff, but had just never connected his name with it. I was kind of semi-close on the date, too -- eight years off. I have been listening to a lot of stuff from the middle of the 20th century lately, though, so if I hadn't been within a decade I'd have been very disappointed.

We had a record when I was a kid called "Funny Bone Favorites," we listened to it all the time. It had "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah" on it, and "Leader of the Laundromat," and "The Monster Mash," and some other great tunes..."Ahab the Arab," which would never ever get played these days. And "Abba Dabba Honeymoon," which I still remember all the words to, oddly.

Good times.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2011, 12:56:08 am »

"Ahab the Arab," which would never ever get played these days

You're right, that musical style is hella passe these days.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2011, 02:39:54 am »

I like Keillor, and he's a heck of a good writer, but the show isn't as fun to listen to as it used to be.  But it's still better than pretty much anything on the radio on a weekend afternoon.  And the music (except for his singing) is excellent.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 01:44:04 pm »

but having a band where the message seems to be "notice how silly mainstream rap is!" is awesome? I don't get it.

I'm not exactly a Weird Al fan so maybe I don't really get it, but I never got this from Weird Al. I get more of a goofy dude poking fun at popular music while at the same time respecting the craft. Am I wrong here?

I do get that however from those Jeff Tweedy covers of pop songs. I mean, some of those are terrible songs, but he just comes off like a dick. Like, "here's some silly music, let's all laugh at this silly music, and then let's get all serious for the next Wilco record." Dick. Again, maybe I don't get it. I'm not exactly a Jeff Tweedy, either.

I never really got into Al. I think maybe I don't like jokey music

I can enjoy jokey music but it's not something I'll typically listen to. I like TMBG ok, but they have a handful of songs that I absolutely love and that are basically perfect. And then there's Particle Man. I don't hate it, I even kinda like it, but it's not Ana Ng. I don't know what in my brain separates the two, because Ana Ng is totally goofy like all their songs are, but something does.

Oh, and by the way, that was a joke in case you were taking me too seriously.  I probably wouldn't have liked Garrison Keillor at your age either.  Although, I think you would like a lot of the music he plays.

I loved Garrison Keillor as a teenager and even in my early 20s, but I can't bear even two minutes of PHC today. Maybe I change, maybe they change, who knows?

I was a huge Garrison Keillor fan back when the show first started but I can't stand it anymore. I felt like a point came when he was so famous, no one would say "no" to him anymore and tell him stuff like, people really don't listen to the show to hear him sing. Sometimes it's better if things that you love don't go on forever.

Interesting. I wasn't around when the show first started, but I wonder when the decline started.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2011, 03:39:29 pm »

Interesting. I wasn't around when the show first started, but I wonder when the decline started.

But like you say - did I change or did they change? I can't be sure.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 03:12:31 pm »

I always kinda got that from GK (not GKA). Dude, your show is awesome and is chock-full of cool shit . . . other than your singing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2011, 02:27:03 am »

What a great show. You were right, Paul. Al is a great entertainer. We had a blast. I almost passed out when he was doing "Craigslist," my nerd crush meter is a code purple right about now. I just want to touch his hair.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2011, 02:42:06 am »

I just watched his Comedy Central special. I was surprised how few of the songs I recognized. I wouldn't have known what Perform This Way was a parody of had it not been for the whole confusion over the permissions and whatnot a while back. I was surprised he wore the prosthetic chin for Fat in a live show. That's attention to detail. But what was with the cheerleaders for Smells Like Nirvana?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2011, 02:42:34 am »

The Yoda Chant punishes.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up