Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Weird Al" Reevaluated  (Read 10359 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2011, 03:17:30 am »

But what was with the cheerleaders for Smells Like Nirvana

There are cheerleaders in the Nirvana Smells like Teen Spirit video.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2011, 03:27:23 am »

There are cheerleaders in the Nirvana Smells like Teen Spirit video.

Ah. That would explain it. I've never seen the video.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2011, 01:37:20 pm »

The Yoda Chant punishes.

Yes. Yes, it does.

After the show we went to an 80s themed bar. I had on my regular clothes -- a blousey, animal-print, slightly off the shoulder top, a pair of black "skinny" jeans, and high heels styled to look like Chuck Taylor low-tops. I saw a gaggle of college-girl types dressed like Cyndi Lauper wannabes and realized that I had dressed on-theme by accident.

Pedro was totally shocked at how many 80s pop songs I knew by heart that he had only heard once or twice. I guess he didn't believe me when I told him I got a wider slice of the 80s than most people my age because I was paying attention to what my teen brother and cousins were doing.

Thinking back to the show, I sort of feel like I'm caught up on pop culture now because I've seen it get picked on. Pedro had to explain what "TMZ" was. But of course I totally loved seeing the old stuff. We noted last night that Al has outlasted many artists he's parodied, including REM.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2011, 02:05:12 am »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: "Weird Al" Reevaluated
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2011, 06:57:52 am »

then and now

How funny is it that the Mad editors mention that the difference between the pictures is that Al wasn't plugging his CD in Mad in '93 but don't mention the other difference is that Mad didn't start running ads until 2001.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up