Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Netflix is Bi Polar  (Read 5953 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 01:22:38 am »

It's funny, but this letter reminds me of the sort of thing you get from someone that makes you realize that it is time to break up with the person and move on.  It's TL/DR, it's full of low self esteem and ultimatums...  We only have streaming Netflicks and the picture quality and selection is shitty.  I have no idea why my husband insists on having it.  It sucks.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 01:58:22 am »

It's funny, but this letter reminds me of the sort of thing you get from someone that makes you realize that it is time to break up with the person and move on.  It's TL/DR, it's full of low self esteem and ultimatums...

Yes, exactly.  I think it may be time to tell Nexflix it's not them, it's me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 03:07:38 am »

I feel like lately I am contrary mary on here, but I have never had a problem with my Netflix coverage, quality, whatever.

What is unbelievably stupid is that I have an account, and each of my roommates have an account. THREE ACCOUNTS IN ONE HOUSE, WITH ONE TV.

My subscription was a gift from my family, and it runs out in a few months. I guess I'll see then whether I should cancel my account and rely on theirs.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 04:36:45 am »

I'm generally happy with the quality of the picture on netflix.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 04:41:02 am »

My understanding is that licenses for things like that will vary across countries-- so maybe Mel is not getting the selection we get, at the quality we get?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 01:08:26 pm »

My understanding is that licenses for things like that will vary across countries-- so maybe Mel is not getting the selection we get, at the quality we get?

Don't Candian ISPs have ridiculously low bandwidth caps? I swear I read in Wired that Canadian accounts have a setting in their account where they can voluntarily lower their quality to save bandwidth.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 03:31:37 pm »

Nah, we have ultra high speed, and definitely no Bandwidth cap.  I do wonder about what Inev's saying though - I'm thinking Netflix Canada's selection is likely different and poorer than in the US.  It's mostly stale old stuff that can all easily be found on torrent sites, and nothing in HD as far as I can see, so the appeal is nonexistent for me.  It's clear that hubby likes the laziness factor though, as he was most recently watching season 1 of Ren and Stimpy off Netflix and the picture quality was terrible.  We own season one of Ren and Stimpy.  It's in the drawer below the TV.  And the picture quality is considerably better on the DVDs.  But that would mean getting up and opening the drawer and putting the DVD into the player, so... yeah.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 05:15:20 pm »

Nah, we have ultra high speed, and definitely no Bandwidth cap.  I do wonder about what Inev's saying though - I'm thinking Netflix Canada's selection is likely different and poorer than in the US.  It's mostly stale old stuff that can all easily be found on torrent sites, and nothing in HD as far as I can see, so the appeal is nonexistent for me.  It's clear that hubby likes the laziness factor though, as he was most recently watching season 1 of Ren and Stimpy off Netflix and the picture quality was terrible.  We own season one of Ren and Stimpy.  It's in the drawer below the TV.  And the picture quality is considerably better on the DVDs.  But that would mean getting up and opening the drawer and putting the DVD into the player, so... yeah.

We do this. Mostly for kids' programming -- they change their minds so frequently that it's easier to teach them how to use the remote and find it their damn selves.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 01:08:47 pm »

It's funny, but this letter reminds me of the sort of thing you get from someone that makes you realize that it is time to break up with the person and move on.  It's TL/DR, it's full of low self esteem and ultimatums...  We only have streaming Netflicks and the picture quality and selection is shitty.  I have no idea why my husband insists on having it.  It sucks.

It is, quite possibly, the worst letter a CEO of a visible company has ever sent to his customers. Didn't the shareholders sell like crazy after that? It was an incomprehensible move.

I just got one from the CEO of Barnes & Noble because they acquired the customer email list from Borders. It's like 6 or 7 paragraphs and the only important details included are that you can opt-out and must do so before October 15th, and then it provides the link to opt-out. But yeah, it's got nothing on the Netflix letter.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 05:32:16 pm »

Yeah, I just read that Barnes and Noble letter.  It was nothing at all like the Netflix letter.  They are a vulture swooping in to pick the bones of Borders then they're letter was like giving a eulogy at their best friends funeral then trying to seduce his wife at the wake.

In a word, it's the kind of letter that Netflix's conqueror is gonna write, be it Blockbuster or maybe a new service from Google or Amazon,  when they drive them out of business.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 07:42:37 pm »

Oh by the way, Netflix streaming was down for about an hour last night at my house.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 04:45:09 pm »

Netflix was down again for hours on Saturday night.  They were working enough to provide a small list of available movies, maybe 100 in total.  So instead of watching Star Trek as hoped I was watching They Live with Roddy Piper.

And then this  morning I got this in my inbox.

Quote
Dear Paul,

It is clear that for many of our members two websites would make things more difficult, so we are going to keep Netflix as one place to go for streaming and DVDs.

This means no change: one website, one account, one password…in other words, no Qwikster.

While the July price change was necessary, we are now done with price changes.

We're constantly improving our streaming selection. We've recently added hundreds of movies from Paramount, Sony, Universal, Fox, Warner Bros., Lionsgate, MGM and Miramax. Plus, in the last couple of weeks alone, we've added over 3,500 TV episodes from ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, USA, E!, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel, ABC Family, Discovery Channel, TLC, SyFy, A&E, History, and PBS.

We value you as a member, and we are committed to making Netflix the best place to get your movies & TV shows.

Respectfully,

The Netflix Team

I like how it's signed "The Netflix Team" and not by Reed Hastings like the last letter.  I'm imagining him being restrained in a back office pumped full of sedatives.   After attempting to implement his evil plan to split Netflix into two separate companies resulting in a total meltdown of Netfilx servers.  The board of directors burst into to the control room to find him standing on a table laughing manically.  Holding a DVD with the code in one hand, wearing a long lab coat for some strange odd reason.  "Once I insert this final disc the transfer will be complete and Qwikster will be born and it will be all mine. Bwah ha ha ha..."  "You fiend, you will never prevail!" A voice was heard as the ghost of Steve Jobs appeared in the room.  "There is no Qwikster, this is all part of your evil plan to kill Netflix.  Hand me the disc Reed..."  Distracted Hastings didn't notice as his personal secretary dropped him with a karate chop to the neck.  "You too, Valerie?" He was heard saying as he fell into unconsciousness.

So yeah, hopefully the trouble at Netflix is past now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 12:08:49 am »

I like how it's signed "The Netflix Team" and not by Reed Hastings like the last letter.  I'm imagining him being restrained in a back office pumped full of sedatives.   After attempting to implement his evil plan to split Netflix into two separate companies resulting in a total meltdown of Netfilx servers.  The board of directors burst into to the control room to find him standing on a table laughing manically.  Holding a DVD with the code in one hand, wearing a long lab coat for some strange odd reason.  "Once I insert this final disc the transfer will be complete and Qwikster will be born and it will be all mine. Bwah ha ha ha..."  "You fiend, you will never prevail!" A voice was heard as the ghost of Steve Jobs appeared in the room.  "There is no Qwikster, this is all part of your evil plan to kill Netflix.  Hand me the disc Reed..."  Distracted Hastings didn't notice as his personal secretary dropped him with a karate chop to the neck.  "You too, Valerie?" He was heard saying as he fell into unconsciousness.

So yeah, hopefully the trouble at Netflix is past now.

your imagination is the shit.  have a can
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 08:18:55 am »

You picked the wrong week to stop dropping acid.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix is Bi Polar
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 02:16:53 am »

The HetLiPar asked me this morning, "So Netflix... did we just get New Coked?"
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up