Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street  (Read 24236 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Occupy Wall Street
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:23:47 pm »

This story has been blowing up on my Facebook.  I've not been paying too close attention, but is this a thing?  Is that cop that pepper sprayed those helpless girls a new hero to the left?

The gist I'm getting from the Facebook post is that we need to be protesting for some kind of change on Wall Street.  Like I say, I haven't really been paying too close attention, but what exactly are we protesting for?  What do we hope to achieve with the protest? 

Not that I think it's anything other than a futile display of impotent rage.  I still remember when 10s of millions took to the streets in 2003 to protest the war.  It's crystal clear to me that our Government is completely unresponsive to protest. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:34:27 pm »

There's a huge disparity in how left-wing vs. right-wing protests are covered and received. Get two dozen Tea Party guys together, and all the networks send out crews. Get thousands of liberals together to protest the war or protest Wall Street, and they'll ignore it as long as possible. Just a bunch of Dirty fuck*ng Hippies, who gives a shit.

Will it have a direct influence on the government? Probably not. But much like the early Tea Party protests, it serves to tell a certain group of Americans, "Yes there are others who feel like you and are trying to change things," and if it convinces more Americans to get off their asses and push for the change they want to see, so be it.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:39:14 pm »

Will it have a direct influence on the government? Probably not. But much like the early Tea Party protests, it serves to tell a certain group of Americans, "Yes there are others who feel like you and are trying to change things," and if it convinces more Americans to get off their asses and push for the change they want to see, so be it.

I was too busy yesterday being aware of Breast Cancer to worry about Wall Street.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:07:05 am »

Man, all those pink gloves and shoelaces kept making me feel sad for the titties.

i like this better:

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:10:34 am »

Now that is nice.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 01:35:02 am »

Is that cop that pepper sprayed those helpless girls a new hero to the left?

What's this?

I heard something on the radio tonight about how the protesters are short on answers, but that there are intellectuals on the left acting as "protest entrepreneurs," seeing this as an opportunity to get their ideas some traction.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 03:08:24 am »

As much as I am a fellow traveller to the Occupy Wall Street idea, I went down and checked it out...

Those people are disorganized as shit. A few hundred cats all trying to herd each other. Well-meaning, completely but yeah.

And then a lot of motherfuckers not there for any ideological reasons, just as a place to put on their performance art and mug/smug for the cameras.

Day I went, of course, it was like 200 well-intentioned people with no fuck*ng plan, 200 exhibitionists and 5,000 people asking 'where's Radiohead?' but...

I dunno. Maybe it'll become something useful if it gains momentum, I dunno.

Seems like sort of like the whole story's about lefties WANTING SO BAD for it to be something significant than, you know, that it is something significant.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 03:32:09 am »

I love it when I'm right and I'm not too small to toot my own horn, either.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 01:15:13 pm »

If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 02:08:53 pm »

Doc gets a can for the Vonnegut reference.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 03:15:54 am »

My friend from work was arrested at the STL protest for "violating park curfew" and is interviewed in the newspaper. Cool, I guess?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 11:31:45 am »

My friend from work was arrested at the STL protest for "violating park curfew" and is interviewed in the newspaper. Cool, I guess?

totally.  he stuck it to the man and the man stuck it right back.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 10:22:55 pm »

The occupation of Portland is going in grand Portland style.

Please and thank you all around.   

Here's some pictures of our police force at work.




So far two people have been arrested.  A 17 year old, and a 20 (I think) year old.   They got arrested because they were stenciling stuff with rattle cans.   "Stuff" included a police cruiser.

I think really only the people ticked off by the 4000 marchers and 1000 park occupiers are the marathon runners who are set up in the two blocks the parks occupy.   There's a contingent of them whom what are pissed that the protesters are there, and worked out space sharing with the marathon organizers.

Oh...Portland...
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up