Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street  (Read 24233 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 11:20:35 pm »

I think really only the people ticked off by the 4000 marchers and 1000 park occupiers are the marathon runners

Fuck marathon runners. Marathon runners here have seriously fucked up mid-April Saturday morning plans like 5 years running now. It is impossible to plan around the marathon unless your plan is to not cross its path.

Don't get me started on fuck*ng marathon runners. Let their plans get fucked up for once.

Oh...Portland...

I love Portland. Even with all those damn hippies and marathon runners.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 12:54:30 am »

Speaking of Marathons... They are running the Olympic trial here next Jan and they want artcars to run as pace cars.  So it looks like I'm gonna be in the Olympic trial marathon next year.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 02:46:58 am »

Coupla weeks ago, at Makerfaire, we saw an artcar covered with hacked Billy Bass-es and they all sang as a chorus to various rock songs.

It was insane.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 03:17:57 am »

Wow.  That is something I'd like to see.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 04:20:54 am »

Coupla weeks ago, at Makerfaire, we saw an artcar covered with hacked Billy Bass-es and they all sang as a chorus to various rock songs.

It was insane.

Ah yes, the Sashimi Tabernacle Choir.  Friends of mine.  They were up in New York for Maker Faire.  Oh wait you said that.  Those guys are awesome.  

Edit:  Fixed the links!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:37:40 am by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 04:33:56 am »

YOUR FRIENDS ARE AWESOME
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 09:58:53 pm »

So, a thing has come up in discussion with my friends about Occupy Wall Street, OccupySTL (specifically, a flyer I was handed downtown which I found really stupid and inflammatory), and it reminds me of arguments we had at the radio station, and also recent arguments on Reddit about /r/jailbait.
Friends of mine, and members of OWS, Reddit, the radio station, make the argument that the point of these things is to provide a forum for whatever message people wish to convey. I had friends argue that broadcasting PSAs with political opinions would not infer that the station supported those political positions-- they said that anyone with a brain would know we were just providing an open forum, and would have broadcast any political PSA as long as it was placed by a valid student/citizen group and wasn't hate-speech. Similarly, I am being told that I am being unreasonable for thinking that this flyer I was handed reflects badly on occupySTL, because obviously I should know that these groups don't have a unified voice-- they are composed of many groups, arguing for many positions.

Is this some sort of weird shift (possibly because of the internet) that I have missed out on? Am I crazy for thinking that these communications reflect on the group that allows them/broadcasts them/whatever? It seems to me that any group that doesn't have some sort of discipline about what views they project is making themselves easy to ignore or marginalize. This also comes up with the frequent complaint that OWS doesn't have any demands.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 10:19:38 pm »

Inev, your friends are stupid, and therefore we are doomed. In my personal opinion.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 01:09:53 am »

your friends are stupid, and therefore we are doomed. In my personal opinion
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 01:56:47 am »

Just saw this on FB from a girl I went to high school with "thinks if protesters spent the same amount of energy contributing to society as they do disturbing it we'd have much fewer issues. And this isn't political, whatever you're protesting, it's a waste of time and you're an asshole. No one cares. Now go to work, it's a week day."
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 02:08:27 am »

it's a waste of time and you're an asshole. No one cares. Now go to work, it's a week day."

I don't really agree with the first part, but I love this part.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 02:12:41 pm »

I have a friend who is a hobo.  Rides the rails, plays music for tips to survive.  Pretty cool dude.  He's at the Occupy DC protest.  You can see him singing and playing his banjo in this video  He shows up somewhere around the 4 minute mark.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 02:06:38 am »

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up