Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street  (Read 24261 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 03:22:20 am »

The joke there is that Lloyd Blankfein would give the hippies the time of day. If I gave my opinion on this I'd come off as activating some kind of Internet Debate Machine and I burned that sucker down after the LFM ACAP Flame War of '07.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 05:30:45 am »

Thirteen Observations made by Lemony Snicket while watching Occupy Wall Street from a Discreet Distance

the standouts:

5. There may not be a reason to share your cake. It is, after all, yours. You probably baked it yourself, in an oven of your own construction with ingredients you harvested yourself. It may be possible to keep your entire cake while explaining to any nearby hungry people just how reasonable you are.

7. Someone feeling wronged is like someone feeling thirsty. Don’t tell them they aren’t. Sit with them and have a drink.


have a thank-you-can, wombrat.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 02:33:46 pm »

I think this is amusing and well-put.

I also think the OWS people are, on the whole, idiots.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2011, 02:58:04 pm »

Quote
11. Historically, a story about people inside impressive buildings ignoring or even taunting people standing outside shouting at them turns out to be a story with an unhappy ending.

Don't tend to think they are idiots. I just wish they would stop drumming. I do think that my acquaintances who are attending the St Louis marches as anarchists are idiots.

Not really sure who Lemony Snicket is. I mean, I know he (?) is a character in a book, but these lines did not give me a sense of who this character is, other than kind of obnoxious in how he speaks.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2011, 03:07:14 pm »

This
http://www.theawl.com/2011/10/ask-an-activist-why-should-we-demonstrate
has some interesting points about why it tends to be drummers and anarchists and other sort of people who make one roll one's eyes, who start this sort of thing, but that that doesn't mean it won't become something bigger. The piece rambles, but parts of it have made me change my stance to one of reserving judgment.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2011, 03:47:00 pm »

If nothing else, OWS is worthwhile as a counter-balance to the Tea Party. There are mad people who you need to try to placate on both sides (or, in some cases, on the same side).

I really enjoyed this article and this related snarky blog.

Thanks Wombat, I like that article too.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:51:11 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 04:47:52 am »

If nothing else, OWS is worthwhile as a counter-balance to the Tea Party. There are mad people who you need to try to placate on both sides (or, in some cases, on the same side).

Ah, something to this. I know it isn't going to help, but I sort of want someone on the left with Fred Phelps levels of crazy. It seems (to me) that the left is constantly given the "two wrongs don't make a right" treatment. How come Michelle Bachmann can be batshit crazy and run for president?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 06:07:00 am »

If nothing else, OWS is worthwhile as a counter-balance to the Tea Party. There are mad people who you need to try to placate on both sides (or, in some cases, on the same side).

I really enjoyed this article and this related snarky blog.

Thanks Wombat, I like that article too.

Yeah man I was just thinking what we need is more polarization in this country.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 08:17:49 am »

Yeah man I was just thinking what we need is more polarization in this country.

I think that genie is long since out of the bottle.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 01:07:05 pm »

I think that genie is long since out of the bottle.
That makes it right?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 03:58:52 pm »

Y'know, it's kinda shooting the left in the ass, in a way. They just got to be the side, in the last coupla years, that could claim more rational positions and fewer crazy people and now they're blowing it.

Oh yeah?

Or... When Reagon got Alzheimer's how did anyone know?


« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:06:01 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 04:08:05 pm »

Y'know, it's kinda shooting the left in the ass, in a way. They just got to be the side, in the last coupla years, that could claim more rational positions and fewer crazy people and now they're blowing it.

Yeah, but fuck it, it's their turn. I mean, no one really believes things are going to get better at this point, do they?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 04:30:48 pm »

Hm.

It seems to me that the Tea Party has gotten Republicans to pay attention to them. They get what they want because they make a big stink. Liberals worry about not looking stupid, so they don't get anything done. This country has moved massively rightward. We need a strong, populist leftist movement.

Do the OWS people seem crazy? I have seen, so far, one sign that said "Bankers = Nazis" or whatever. I don't see it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 05:00:24 pm »

I will say that OWS is as bad as the Tea Party when they get some insane, unqualified people elected to public office. If we started electing anti-statist anarchists who want to mandate that all schoolchildren be taught the evils of organized religion in schools, and let everyone from Mexico who wants walk in, and hands out free abortion vouchers at his/her/zir rallies.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 05:09:52 pm »

I will say that OWS is as bad as the Tea Party when they get some insane, unqualified people elected to public office. If we started electing anti-statist anarchists who want to mandate that all schoolchildren be taught the evils of organized religion in schools, and let everyone from Mexico who wants walk in, and hands out free abortion vouchers at his/her/zir rallies.

I second this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up