Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Occupy Wall Street  (Read 24259 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2011, 11:15:00 pm »

Yes, this is on Cracked.com, but it has a lot of insights.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-we-ruined-occupy-wall-street-generation/

Quote
The problem is that we've sort of set you up to think that after high school, the next step is college, and after that you just jump in and start working at the job you went to college for. We kind of implied that this "college to job" transition is as natural and orderly as "high school to college." That is, if you get the right grades, you "graduate" to it. That's not true, and it's our fault that so many of you think that.

See, our parents told us that because they didn't actually know. As a generalized whole, they didn't go to college. You have to realize how recent the whole "everybody goes to college" thing really is. It was only two generations ago that college educations were rare -- in 1950, less than 10 percent of adults had bachelor's degrees (hell, only half even graduated high school). People back then were less mobile and more likely to stay in the town where they were born. That meant that their options were limited; men joined the military, or went to work at the local factory/warehouse/whatever was hiring. Women got busy having babies and being waitresses/secretaries/whatever was hiring. College was something that smart kids and people with money did. And they probably thought those college kids had a free ticket to a nice job in an air-conditioned office.

So when they worked hard and gave their kids the opportunity to get a degree, they thought they were giving us what those fancy smart kids got: an automatic job with a hotass secretary to feel up. Sexual harassment wasn't a thing yet.

This reminds me of when I was working as a research assistant for a professor at MIT and told my mom (who didn't finish high school) that I was going to grad school to be a college professor someday, she said "Can't you just work your way up?" She just didn't have a clue.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2011, 12:00:12 am »

Learning magic is a fake thing is a sucktacular experience for some folk, I guess.

its basically some a-hole behind a curtain twisting knobs, pushing buttons, and yelling into a microphone.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2011, 12:28:34 am »

on the other hand, my mom and her dad both have PhDs, and still think that I should get a PhD as my road to success.

Wombat, my dad has a story which reminds me of yours. Apparently no matter how many times he explained that he presided over thousands of people, how much money he made, or whatever, my grandma would ask him every so often if he thought he'd make Branch Manager soon.

Maybe, in her own way, she was trolling.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2011, 12:54:45 am »

Back in the MIT days I mentioned, I had a friend who got her Phd in that lab, and when she had a kid, she said about his future career, "He just has to get his PhD and then I don't care, he can do whatever he wants." I kind of wanted to strangle her.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2011, 02:22:51 am »

My mum expressed a similar sort of idea about me and my brother, i.e. that we should get a university degree and then we could do whatever we want.
This worked out fairly well for me but my brother is someone who really should have just got a job and worked his way up, it's effectively what he's doing now anyway in a job he didn't need a degree to get but he's wasted 5 years getting a degree he didn't really want or enjoy and I think it was a bit of a waste really.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2011, 03:20:36 am »

I think this country needs more craft and trade training during the mandatory schooling. Bullpushing people who'd be perfectly happy and comfortable doing HVAC or plumbing into an unwanted degree is dumb-assed.

Believe me, there's pride and a good living to be made in making the heater work or the crapper flush strong.

Totally agree. If I could change anything about my teenage years, I would have worked summer and after school jobs where I actually used my hands to learn useful and difficult skills. This is pretty interesting, but basically it takes a whole book to say what you said in one sentence.

Who knows where I would have ended up but I imagine I would have had much more direction in college.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2011, 03:50:01 am »

Believe me, there's pride and a good living to be made in making the heater work or the crapper flush strong.

So much this, when I was up on Thursday Island a couple of months back on a placement we were chilling with some young electricians who were up there on a contract, they made some joke about how we'd be pulling in doctor-money in a couple of years and driving fancy cars, my friend and I had to laugh at how much more money they were making right now than we would for a long-ass time. Not only does trade work make bank (over here at least) it gets you making bank much earlier than most degree-related jobs. I might make all right money doctoring but I won't be making it till my mid to late 30s at least, fancy car money will be much later still.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2011, 03:55:20 am »

I think this country needs more craft and trade training during the mandatory schooling. Bullpushing people who'd be perfectly happy and comfortable doing HVAC or plumbing into an unwanted degree is dumb-assed.

Believe me, there's pride and a good living to be made in making the heater work or the crapper flush strong.

Do you know who does not want this?  Who will actively work to control this?

The current active plumbers, HVAC contractors, electricians and so forth (along with their corresponding unions).  These guys keep a tight lid on how many people they train each year and have done so since forever.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2011, 01:31:19 pm »

The happiest guy I know is a dude who went to trade school and became a plumber. He has a business, a house, an El Torino he makes love to, and a family.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:35:13 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2011, 03:26:59 pm »

Mike Rowe gave good Senate testimony a while back on this very thing.
http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/dirtyjobs/mike-rowe-senate-testimony.html

I tend to agree with him. We've stigmatized these jobs way too much. But tell you what, I have days where I feel like my job is complete bullshit, like nothing I did that day has any kind of real-world substantial benefit to anyone, and on those days I am rather envious of people who actually make and fix things for a living. And of course when my plumbing is fucked up, I think the plumber is freaking AWESOME.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2011, 04:48:35 pm »

How are those jobs doing in this recession, though? My understanding is that the building trades are in the shitter.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2011, 06:27:33 pm »

One difficulty facing trade education in the US is the human desire to have a simple fix for complex problems.  The "just get a college degree and you'll be fine" mindset comes from the same place that says "all we need to end the recession is for everyone to spend a bit more".  Happily for me, I got a college degree and am working in my field of major study.  I wish I could explain to other people how I did this - all's I can say is that it's what I wanted to do, so I did it...
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2011, 10:18:54 pm »

How are those jobs doing in this recession, though? My understanding is that the building trades are in the shitter.

From Rowe's piece:
"Right now, American manufacturing is struggling to fill 200,000 vacant positions. There are 450,000 openings in trades, transportation and utilities. The skills gap is real, and it's getting wider. In Alabama, a third of all skilled tradesmen are over 55. They're retiring fast, and no one is there to replace them."

[citation needed] and all, and who knows exactly what trades or how he cherry-picked his numbers.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #133 on: November 29, 2011, 10:21:43 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0125-spjL9s

This. A thousand bajillion times this. Brought to you by the man who implanted much of what I understand about the world.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Occupy Wall Street
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2011, 11:22:24 pm »

Capitalism is like Communism, in that as far as I can tell it has never actually existed in the wild.

Neither system is working, because there is clearly a strong demand in the market for that man to get a better hairstyle.

As soon as he used the word "handouts" I knew where he was going. Boo to that. "only way to make profits is to improve standard of living" my eye.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up