It seems to be popular sport today to use Columbus day to "educate" your friends on Facebook about what an evil bastard he actually was. Not someone we should be celebrating. Maybe I had this issue reframed for me when I was very little, but this day has always been about the one really super colossally awesome thing that he did which is, of course, discover this fantastic continent. 2 continents, even when you get right down to it.
Obviously I'm speaking from a European perspective, the white man's perspective. But why not, I'm a white man after all and where would I be if America had never been discovered, never been colonized. It's hard to say. Would I even exist or would my fore bearers, not having the new world to escape to, have been executed for their beliefs? Or, being of Irish decent, would my fore bearers have died of starvation during the potato famine? For that I say God bless Columbus for finding this beautiful place where potatoes don't get famined.
But what about the Indians? It's no lie that they've gotten fucked in every possible way there is to get fucked by the whites and there are many who are still having trouble adjusting to the paradigm shift even generations later. Putting that aside for a moment if possible, what would their life be like if the Europeans had never came? If they could choose, I wonder how many would give up modern society and return to their primitive ways? I'm certain my thinking is naive, but I can't help believe that most native American's benefit from certain western ideas such as, I don't know, living in a house, for instance. Please don't get me wrong, this is not meant as a mockery of native Americans, I don't know about your problems and I'm not trying to judge. It's just an interesting thing to consider. Would/could a well adjusted native American, living in the modern world, want to revert to a society free of western influence?
It's a moot point anyway, we're here to stay fuckers!
Anywhoo, sure, Columbus was a grade A bastard, but you'll not get any Columbus bashing from me. I am glad that he got lost on his way to China. Or to put it more favorably, I'm glad that he believed the world was round.