Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuck Columbus Day  (Read 5438 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 08:36:17 pm »

Yeah, I have never really had anything special for Columbus day.  never the day off of school, people talking about it, etc. 

I always thought just no one cared, but it is a thing on the east coast?  Also, yesterday my bank was open, but my deposit did not go through on account of it being Columbus day yesterday.  Why be open?  If they would have been closed or told me that I would have just cashed the check.  Instead I massively overdrew, but the deposit will probably go through before the rest.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 08:40:34 pm »

From what I hear, the Italian Americans in the big Eastern cities have seized on Columbus day as akin to St Patrick's for the Irish for ethnic pride.  If that eventually leads to St Paddy's being a holiday I'm fine with that.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 08:56:29 pm »

A zillion years ago when I was growing up in the Bronx my father belonged to a group called Knights of Columbus that I guess was a bunch of Italian guys hanging out. I haven't thought of that in years.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 09:01:16 pm »

Sometimes I wish Burns' Night was as big for those of us with Scottish heritage as St. Patrick's. But I suspect that whole haggis thing holds us back.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 09:06:37 pm »

Not to mention the kilts.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 11:27:00 pm »

A zillion years ago when I was growing up in the Bronx my father belonged to a group called Knights of Columbus that I guess was a bunch of Italian guys hanging out. I haven't thought of that in years.

I now assume your dad was one of the people Jack Nicholson killed in The Departed.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 12:58:04 am »

Honestly like any other Monday holiday in the US it's already been re-framed as a day to go away for the long weekend or go shopping.  We are so bad at honoring historical figures that Paul's post is the only mention I heard or read this year of actual Columbus.

No less than 10 people, probably closer to 20 people posted this on their Facebook Wall.


But anyway, if I'd thought it through, I'd have realized the heart of my anger was probably more about why do people keep posting bullshit on Facebook than caring two shits about what anyone thinks about Columbus. 

On a related note, I've been methodically watching all of the Merrie Melodies from start to finish.  Some of the early ones were pretty racist and filled with stereotypes.  Last nights selection was Sweet Sioux from 1937.  Happy Columbus Day everybody.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 01:31:17 am »

Why be open?

Because customers bitch if they aren't open.

Paul, that picture is exactly the thing that we don't need to see/hear on Columbus Day. What gets me is that these people act as if they are outraged, but then do nothing other than post dumb shit on Facebook. I mean, I know that's what the internet is mostly about (besides porn) but I hate that kind of shit.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:13:38 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 02:11:25 am »

I don't know if that comic illustrates outrage. Just "oh hey, Columbus did some fucked up stuff."
I mean, what would you have them do? Move back to Europe?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 02:22:12 am »

Yeah, outrage isn't right.

And I wouldn't have them do anything. But what would they have me do? Wring my hands year after year, burdened by white guilt? Why not draw attention to current issues Native Americans face and make suggestions on how to contribute? Because it's easier to post stupid shit on Facebook. Then at least you look like you care and don't have to do anything.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 02:25:21 am »

I just don't understand why you care. I don't think they want you to do anything. They're just posting a kind of goofy comic that plays off of the awareness that Columbus Day is a kind of funny holiday, if you think about what it is celebrating.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 12:45:18 pm »

I don't understand why I care either. Probably making too big a deal out of it, but still am annoyed by it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 12:51:38 pm »

Now if some of those people would do what that comic says and report back, that would make for a lot of more interesting status updates.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 04:40:46 pm »

I would like to observe, from a safe distance, what would go down if they happened to choose Asherdan's house.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Columbus Day
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 09:52:11 pm »

A zillion years ago when I was growing up in the Bronx my father belonged to a group called Knights of Columbus that I guess was a bunch of Italian guys hanging out. I haven't thought of that in years.
It's a big group that's all over
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Columbus
I have only a passing familiarity with it, but it's not Italian-specific that I know of.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up