Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Assed Substitutions  (Read 10071 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 07:43:43 pm »

It is anti-migraine coffee; normally I don't drink caffeine at all but I woke up with a killer migraine this morning and I've got shit to do, so I'm on my second cup of the day. I might never sleep again. So if I start posting crazy shit and you start to suspect I've developed a cocaine habit, don't worry -- it's just me being a coffee lightweight.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 09:45:56 pm »

Where exactly is the strogon on a giraffe?  Do other animals/mammals/ruminants have one?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36:53 pm »

Asherdan, what happens to animals' faces after we eat their meat parts?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 11:51:59 pm »

you were a rad, creepy kid.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 12:03:33 am »

I have a problem.  Whenever stroganoff is mentioned my mind immediately translates it to 'stroke it off.'  That was probably funny as hell when I was 14.  I at least have the good sense to keep this to myself most of the time, but I wish it would just go away.  How can i erase this from my brain?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 12:14:41 am »

When I have a terrible song stuck in my brain, I go and listen to a better song that is just as catchy and get that stuck in my brain instead. There must be some way we can adapt this approach to your problem.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 12:15:57 am »

Repeatedly watch that scene from the animated Anastasia that came out in the late 90's. "Stroke it off" will be replaced with, "'And never slurp the stroganoff!' 'I never cared for stroganoff!' 'She said that like a Romanov!'"

I can't find a decent quality video of just this scene, but the link above has decent audio.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 12:18:24 am »

There you go. See, Good-Ass Substitutions isn't just about food.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 12:44:39 am »

I just have one question.  Does Anastasia die at the end?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 01:06:21 am »

Nope. It ends while she's still young.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 02:05:22 am »

Asherdan, what happens to animals' faces after we eat their meat parts?

Head cheese.

Souse?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 06:44:38 am »

My dad is such a fan of head cheese. He likes figs, though, so it doesn't surprise me.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 01:39:45 pm »

Really not seeing the connection between figs and head cheese, Nabu.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 03:34:17 pm »

In Nabu's brain I'm betting they both have to sit facing the Nasty Corner.

Bing.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 12:59:56 am »

Asherdan, what happens to animals' faces after we eat their meat parts?
According to an article I read today, some of it becomes McRibs: http://www.crunktastical.net/2011/10/31/dreadful-mccrib-chemicals-gym-mats/#more-50056
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up