Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good-Assed Substitutions  (Read 10056 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 03:26:54 am »

I want one very badly, but frankly I have too many kitchen appliances in a small kitchen. There are no more cabinets with space for appliances.

...I'll probably buy one once it gets cold, to start cooking soup. I think the weird cabinet next to the sink has some space near the back...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 12:48:45 pm »

The nice thing is, you can store other things inside a crock pot. I used to keep cookie cutters in mine. They were in a plastic grocery bag, and when I wanted to use the slow cooker I would just take out the whole bag.

Just sayin'.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 12:50:13 pm »

Do you know what is wonderful? Prepping food before you go to work in the morning and arriving home to the wonderful aroma of a slow-cooked meal just waiting for you to grab a plate and dive in. Truly, truly, this is a thing you can live without, but why would you want to?  

I can't do this because I am afraid to leave the house with hot things plugged in. Of course, right now I also can't do this because I don't go to work in the morning.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 12:52:17 pm »

I can't do this because I am afraid to leave the house with hot things plugged in. Of course, right now I also can't do this because I don't go to work in the morning.

On the first point, I generally am, too, but I feel like a crock pot is safe because it was designed to be left unattended for extended periods of time.

On the second point, I can't help you, except to say that it works equally well after a long day of running errands. But I'm not sure you have those.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 12:56:11 pm »

I tell you, that slow pot is my second favourite cooking device. They totally don't get enough credit.

Next time quarter some yellow taters, chunk up an onion, add some celery, carrots, black pepper and garlic acros the top of the chops and then fill that sucker to the brim with saurkraut. If you want to substitute for the 'kraut, use you some beet pickled cabbage instead of the standard 'kraut.

You may have to leave the house windows open for a day or three but it's so worth it.

PROTIP: AFTERWARDS, ONLY POOP AT WORK.

[[high5]] that, or roasting all that stuff is a PA dutch thing for new years day din-din.  good luck, supposedly.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Good-Assed Substitutions
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 01:02:45 pm »

On the second point, I can't help you, except to say that it works equally well after a long day of running errands. But I'm not sure you have those.

Lately I mostly have long days of constantly rechecking my email until I get messages like "Sorry, I gave that piece you sent a month ago to an editor who quit after a week and it fell through the cracks." And yet, somehow I find excuses to get takeout for dinner instead of cooking at all.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up