Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's Get Meta  (Read 10120 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 07:03:07 pm »

I say if they want to come they're certainly welcome, but I don't see any need to create there own special space for them herein.  It's not like it's hard to find a place to socially mediafy on the interweb these days.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 07:51:40 pm »

From what I recall, we had several people from assetbar here while it was down. They all seemed to pass muster except for that one dude.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:56:26 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 07:53:00 pm »

I guess the big question is, do we really want them here, or not? And if so, do we want them enough to change our long-established policies of xenophobia and general misanthropy? I mean, our rep for being insular and elitist is not baseless.

I mean, thinking back eight years, if another of the Dumbrella boards had said to us, Hey, you can join our already-established group, as long as you do it on our terms, and accept that if we don't like you after a few weeks, we'll haze, ridicule, and possibly ban you, doesn't that sound great? I think I would have turned firmly on my heel and never looked back. But if they'd said, Hey, we're closing your community, but if you want to join these other guys, we'll take steps to make sure you guys can keep your clique intact within this larger group -- well, that's a different story.

How many people are we talking about, anyway? A handful? A dozen? On onslaught? I think that's the key. I'm imagining a group about the size of our regulars, which by my count is about two dozen. That's a lot of new folks to absorb at once for a group like us, and I was just thinking it might be easier starting out if we let them have their own space at first while they re-orient to the new world order. If we're only talking about a half dozen, well, having a separate section would be silly. But if the old guard are going to suddenly find ourselves in the minority, history tells me that's a recipe for either a reign of tyranny or a bloody coup.

Apparently, I'm as misguided as the directors at Inev's internship, here, but I promise you I am only trying to suggest things that would benefit both groups. I would really like to hear from some Assetbarbarians on this, to see whether joining us here is even a serious consideration for most of them.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2011, 08:14:07 pm »

I guess the big question is, do we really want them here, or not? And if so, do we want them enough to change our long-established policies of xenophobia and general misanthropy? I mean, our rep for being insular and elitist is not baseless.
In my case, these are more characteristics or traits than policies.
I mean, thinking back eight years, if another of the Dumbrella boards had said to us, Hey, you can join our already-established group, as long as you do it on our terms, and accept that if we don't like you after a few weeks, we'll haze, ridicule, and possibly ban you, doesn't that sound great? I think I would have turned firmly on my heel and never looked back. But if they'd said, Hey, we're closing your community, but if you want to join these other guys, we'll take steps to make sure you guys can keep your clique intact within this larger group -- well, that's a different story.
I think there's a lot of from between "haze, ridicule, and possibly ban" and "create a special board just for you".  Yeah, us OGs got a break and didn't get put through the mill as much as later members (although there was some brutality and smack laid down by our old-time evil overlord on occasion) but that's part of building a community. We were here in the beginning (many of us), we created the community, people joined, and the people who liked it stayed.
How many people are we talking about, anyway? A handful? A dozen? On onslaught? I think that's the key. I'm imagining a group about the size of our regulars, which by my count is about two dozen. That's a lot of new folks to absorb at once for a group like us, and I was just thinking it might be easier starting out if we let them have their own space at first while they re-orient to the new world order. If we're only talking about a half dozen, well, having a separate section would be silly. But if the old guard are going to suddenly find ourselves in the minority, history tells me that's a recipe for either a reign of tyranny or a bloody coup.
There won't be a coup if we don't recklessly (in my opinion) give some new folks mod powers.
Apparently, I'm as misguided as the directors at Inev's internship, here, but I promise you I am only trying to suggest things that would benefit both groups. I would really like to hear from some Assetbarbarians on this, to see whether joining us here is even a serious consideration for most of them.
I for one appreciate your efforts. I also agree that it might be a moot point anyway. Let's wait and see, and if we need to adjust things afterwards we can. Quite frankly, if there are a lot of changes made around here that affect the way things are run and especially the tone, I don't know how interested the older folk are going to be in hanging out. I like things the way they are, actually. And yes, this is partially my lawn and I don't like kids on it.

(The preceding is probably not worth more than 2 cents.)

(Also, I guess if it were a big deal we could move this discussion somewhere else.)

(Also also, sometimes when I look at this title I think 'Let's Get Metarded" and I'm pretty sure I don't like that. Fuck you Will.I.Am.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:17:36 pm by Nabubrush »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2011, 08:16:40 pm »

You guys do realize this conversation is in public, right? So anybody considering coming here can see the discussion of if they're wanted here?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 08:17:57 pm »

You guys do realize this conversation is in public, right? So anybody considering coming here can see the discussion of if they're wanted here?

That's why I mentioned moving it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 08:29:10 pm »

I did mention that we believed in not being a dick to a stranger as long as the stranger believed in the same principle.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 09:04:26 pm »

I did mention that we believed in not being a dick to a stranger as long as the stranger believed in the same principle.

I don't have the world's best memory, but it seems to me that we usually have operated that way towards most people, at least here. The only people I have been really shirty with are long-timers.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 10:52:48 pm »

All we're really talking about is adding a new fora where the assbar folks can talk about assbar things.  There would be nothing preventing them from coming in to the other parts of the board.  Conversely there would be nothing stopping us from posting in their fora.  The question I have is do we really need a new fora for that or should we just encourage them to start new topics that cover their issues.  Do they have issues?  Do they talk about different shit than we do over here?  Aren't we really pretty much the same as them except they hate us because Ash used to fuck with them all the time?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 10:58:05 pm »

There's also the idea that probably a lot of the assbarbarians were probably at this point paying money specifically to attempt to ingratiate themselves to the artist on the message board, you know?

There's no Access to Onstad here and there hasn't been in forever.

I'm not triple-old-school but I'd say... I'd be open to the idea of a few of their stragglers trickling in if they want but not particularly worrying about it or putting any specific effort about it either way.

It might turn out that the hardcore people from that place just start a facebook or googleplus place to hang out together... or their own little message board thing... and don't even think of our little corner of the datasphere.

We might be way overthinking a situation where really only two or three new people ever pop by here for long enough to stick.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 11:37:27 pm »

There's no Access to Onstad here and there hasn't been in forever.

There neither. Someone has downloaded the whole of the content there and offered to post a link to it unless Assbar or Onstad ask them not to. The post has been up since mid October, I think, and there has been no answer
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 11:46:54 pm »

There neither. Someone has downloaded the whole of the content there and offered to post a link to it unless Assbar or Onstad ask them not to. The post has been up since mid October, I think, and there has been no answer

Kind of ouch. That makes me feel like no one's really going to be concerned about having an assbar-centric place to chat.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2011, 12:44:24 am »

I might have been unclear there - I mean no answer from Onstad. There has been considerable discussion of whether the stuff will disappear altogether and wishing Onstad would make a book of it or put it up somewhere else. When there was no news about that, someone decided to take action and save the stuff and offer it to others if he does not object. But apparently Onstad does not read the forum.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2011, 02:57:31 am »

Anybody who wants to join can join.  They can stay as long as they aren't a dick to strangers.  That's pretty much always been the policy, hasn't it?

I, uh, don't see anybody lining up at the doors though.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Let's Get Meta
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2011, 03:40:18 am »

Anybody who wants to join can join.  They can stay as long as they aren't a dick to strangers.  That's pretty much always been the policy, hasn't it?

I, uh, don't see anybody lining up at the doors though.

There's CortesDiddy. Of course, out of the last ~50 signups, the only regular posters have all been the same troll, so probably not a lot going to come of the latest member.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up