Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: I am: THE FERMULE  (Read 33294 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2004, 02:38:16 am »

Quote from: "jough"
Hey, August, are you still going to be in LA tonight?  This is my way of finding out if you've won or not without actually asking.


I think they tape those shows a week at a time.  He could have won the whole week and still wrapped it up in one day.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2004, 06:25:23 am »

Ah, good call.  Although do they still do the shows in quick five-time succession even with the same winner?

That sounds like more of an endurance test than a test of useless trivia.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2004, 03:27:03 pm »

OK gang, I'm back.  Got in last night at around 1 a.m.

Sorry I didn't respond on Wednesday, but the 24 hours of  TV internet service I paid $11 bucks for conked out after 45 minutes.

Lessee -- they do tape 5 shows a day on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  If I had won the 5th show of the day on Wednesday (I didn't) they would have flown me back on Tuesday the 10th.

Limmo and Ash:  I understand completely and am not offended or irritated in the least that you didn't drop everything on 5 minutes notice and drive an hour through heavy traffic just to entertain someone you've never met.

Although Limmo, I wish I had gotten your e-mail about ROTK on IMAX before I left the hotel room.  I would have done that and it would have been better than the mundane crap I DID do.

Which is this:

I went to Venice Beach and walked around for about half an hour before it got dark.  It was plenty of time to get the idea of the place.  Bought some incense for myself, T-shirts for my daughters and a snow globe for my wife.

Next I drove around for a while and found an In-n-Out Burger (on Washington Blvd., in front of a Costco in Culver City).  Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was underwhelmed.  Not bad, but I was expecting wonderful, and it wasn't that.

It was dark by now and I didn't really know where else to go.  I drove around for a while, basically on Sepulveda.  I saw a Big Lots.  Big Lots is one of my favorite places at home, so I stopped to compare closeout stores.  The only thing different I could see was that Cali Big Lots sell wine and beer.  Well, closeout wine and beer.

Big Lots was next to a Comp USA.  I thought I might like to get a computer game I could play on the laptop while I waited in airports yesterday, so I walked over for a look.  Couldn't really find anything (I was looking for something cheap and turn-based.  Hard enough to find something turn-based.)

I noticed there was a Circuit City across the street, so I went over there.  Worse selection than the Comp USA.  They did have a PDA I was interested in, though.  I almost bought it, but decided to do a little research first.

There was a mall across from the Circuit City, so I went in there and walked around for a while.  I had some grilled Red Snapper and a Caesar salad at the food court.  It was astoundingly good.  Then I bought a silk shirt (well, silk blend) on clearance at Macy's.  Ten bucks!

By this time it was late (8:15 or so).  I was tired and I wanted to get the rental car back before 9 so I didn't have to get up early to turn it in the morning.  Drove back to the Radisson, turned it in.

Still had some energy, so I went to the workout room, worked out and sat in the sauna. Then I went to bed.

Pathetically boring, I know.  Sorry.

I do like the West, though.  When I get old and retired, I'm not wintering in Florida.  I'm coming to Cal or Arizona.  Maybe I'll get an RV...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2004, 04:35:26 pm »

Welcome back, August.  That sounds like exactly the kind of vacation I'd have in Cali.  It's not boring, it's...restful!  

I must lead the restfullest life ever.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2004, 06:37:09 pm »

I know all the places you mentioned; I usually wind up at that Costco every third weekend or so.

If I'd known you'd wind up in Culver City, I would have told you to eat at Tito's Tacos, and, well, shit.  

Man.  Now I feel bad for not playing Virgil to your Dante.  Paul was right. Next time you wind up in town,  you will wallow in sin.  

Alright, all future TOUAMB visitors to L.A. need to give me a heads up on where you're staying. That way, even if I can't hang with you personally, I can make you a list of places to go so you don't wind up having dinner at the food court at the fuck*ng Fox Hills Mall.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2004, 06:53:42 pm »

In be in L.A. in three weeks, although I don't know if I'll be able to break free from "work" enough to hang out.

But I'm told I'm being taken to a restaurant where they use naked ladies as furniture.  And may or may not be going shooting with Hunter S. Thompson.  That's more than enough entertainment for one trip.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2004, 06:57:14 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
But I'm told I'm being taken to a restaurant where they use naked ladies as furniture.  And may or may not be going shooting with Hunter S. Thompson.  That's more than enough entertainment for one trip.


That is certainly more than I can offer you.  If the nudity, fear and loathing don't pan out, let me know, I'll see what weirdness I can scrounge up to compensate.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2004, 06:58:55 pm »

There may be the possibility of including others in my semi-work-induced excursion.  I can't really talk about it, but it involves me writing something for people who work in Hollywood.  It's just a "meet-and-greet" whateverthefuck that is.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2004, 07:01:30 pm »

Ah.  You are, in the parlance of this town, "taking a meeting."  

As the time approaches, keep me posted on what your schedule's looking like and we'll see what can be done.
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2004, 07:08:21 pm »

And to echo Asherdan's excellent, for-all-seasons advice:

Beware of dogs and hobos. And don't ask what's in a Hobo Dog.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2004, 07:35:10 pm »

So when do(es) the show(s) air?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2004, 08:12:24 pm »

April 27th.

And the giraffe at the food court was really very good.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2004, 08:57:07 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
April 27th.

And the giraffe at the food court was really very good.


Hey, that's the day after my birthday.  I'll be sure to record it and pirate it to a downloadable form for all the message board to see.

And I never would have thought to buy giraffe in a food court.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2004, 09:08:50 pm »

Quote from: "His Joughness"


And I never would have thought to buy giraffe in a food court.


I only did it because I was having An Adventure.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2004, 07:02:56 pm »

Yesterday I had a panic attack (not really) thinking that I had forgotten when the show was gonna air.  Phew!!!  Are we still on for 4/27?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up