Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: I am: THE FERMULE  (Read 33328 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2004, 04:47:27 am »

The woman was pretty darn weird, too.  But she was nice.  

After we lost, they basically hustled us off the set.  She said she was getting a cab to her hotel and since I had a rental car and am basically a well-mannered, chivalrous fellow I offered to give her a ride.  It was (theoretically) easy for me because I knew I'd passed her hotel on the way to the studio that morning.

She was a nice lady.  But she was a repressed, old-maid, bureaucrat librarian who'd worked for the Feds for 25 years.  And I am, well, who I am.

We couldn't find her damn hotel.  We drove around Culver City for 45 minutes looking for a building I knew I had passed on Sepulveda Boulevard.  It approached high comedy as we both struggled to retain our manners while we desparately wished to be rid of each other.  Finally I stopped at gas station and asked directions (Radisson?  Yeah, it's right over there.  See it?) and dropped her off.  Just another little adventure in my Jeopardy journey.

Oh yeah, my Dad thought Lex Luthor looked more like Mussolini.  Now I'm thinking he looks kind of like a shaved Dr. Phil.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2004, 04:50:20 am »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The woman who was on tonight seemed to be shaking like crazy.


Pedro noticed she was compulsively pushing her buzzer while she was answering her questions.  (Or questioning her answers, as the case may be.)  

Both of them.  

Ooooh, burn!  


I was too, but I guess I was just too smoooth to show it.  That damn Duce, he was quick on the draw.  Wouldn't surprise me if he wins some more games.  Shithead.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2004, 05:50:01 am »

It's pronounced "pruh-shute."

I was a little disappointed that you didn't write "What is Jough?" since you didn't know the question to the Final Jeopardy answer, but whatever.  No cheque for you.  You'll have to contend yourself with the thirty large.

I knew the FJ question, but the way they phrased it "Red Dawn" was actually incorrect.  It was the first PG-13 film released, but the first film to be given a PG-13 rating was "The Flamingo Kid."

I'm glad no one put "Gremlins" or "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," though - those were the two films cited as the precedent for a PG-14 rating (it later became PG-13 before it was assigned to any film).

Anyway, a tough question.  But the Color Purple?  

I look forward to sending you a DVD next week, August - although my local station didn't show as much of the show's ending as JL and Pedro obviously taped - my station showed the stupid give-away products and then showed commercials until Wheel of Fortune came on.  So no shots of you standing there with your hands folded awkwardly as you make small-talk on my disc.

Sorry.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2004, 10:41:18 am »

Quote from: "jough"
It's pronounced "pruh-shute."


Jough, you are a font of childhood nostalgia for me lately - now you are speaking the dialect of my ancestral home town.  Although as gramma said it, it's closer to 'bruh-shute.'

But be careful, my native-Italian-speaking dad was flunked by his college Italian teacher for speaking that dialect.  They might do the same on Jeopardy.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2004, 03:19:11 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Unrelated question: Are the women contestants always in last place?  I never watch Jeopardy but I remember the women were almost always last when I used to watch Win Ben Stein's Money.


I have noticed that JL's not as good at trivia games as I am though she has an uncanny grasp of history and literature.  My most recent theory is that men store random facts about a subject when learning while women remember relationships between people, things, and events.  So while flipping through a history book, the dialogue goes like this:

Pedro: That's a picture of Hitler.  He was a failed painter with one testicle.
JL: That's Mussolini beside him.  At that moment, they're good friends with big plans, which is why your German grandfather lives in Argentina.
Pedro: My German grandfather smells funny.

In conclusion to this ridiculously broad generalization, men are good at Jeopardy, and women have a better idea of how the world works.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2004, 03:26:09 pm »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Oh yeah, my Dad thought Lex Luthor looked more like Mussolini.  Now I'm thinking he looks kind of like a shaved Dr. Phil.


By the end of the show I realized that guy wasn't really Lex Luthor.  He was instead Brad Garrett playing Lex Luthor.

And by the by, way to represent old school sci-fi to the nation.  While Lex was all, "Sometimes they fight," you were keepin' it real.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2004, 03:44:04 pm »

Wombat: Your gramma was Sicilian, then.  That's pretty much how I say it, too (I'm not Sicilian, but all of my Italian friends are).  But try asking for it at the supermarché

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2004, 03:52:54 pm »

Gramma was Southern Italian but not Sicilian.  I can't remember the name of the town. But equally low class according to the Northerners and all those who pronounce the vowels at the ends of the words, I think.

I like Pedro's generalization.  Although it worries me that it's the sex that's good at Jeopardy instead of that other stuff, that gets to be President all the time and all.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2004, 04:27:26 pm »

Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The woman who was on tonight seemed to be shaking like crazy.

Pedro noticed she was compulsively pushing her buzzer while she was answering her questions.  (Or questioning her answers, as the case may be.)

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones were there?

I routinely spank my S.O. at You Don't Know Jack and can retain the random factoids from Good Eats, etc. but she generally wins Trivial Pursuit. Maybe it's the time factor, or the pop-culture-ness of YDKJ.

And if that guy was Lex Luthor don't you think he would've gotten Smallville right? Come on, people.
Logged

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2004, 08:10:36 pm »

Man, I asked for spoiler warnings, people.  But, it's ok since I forgot to set my VCR (why yes, I am a dumbass).  Sorry I'm so late on the congrats, AW, but good work in any case.  How much of the money is going to Ancient Age?
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2004, 09:22:19 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Hey, Slink (or anyone else technically inclined).


Sorry about that. Just got back from a conference full of lawyers.

Very nice lawyers really. And I guess I ought b careful what I say about lawyers here... Nah fuck that!

But anyway, back again til Saturday when I have to go to Birmingham again. I shall set that downloading tonight though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2004, 09:27:39 pm »

Quote from: "wombat"
Although it worries me that it's the sex that's good at Jeopardy instead of that other stuff, that gets to be President all the time and all.


It makes men good in a pinch.  Ask the male President which nation to bomb, and he'll quickly respond, "What is Cragslapistan?"  To the same question the female President may respond, "Oh dear, the communist one that doesn't care for Castro."

Of course, in Madame President's defense, she probably would have been able to put together a diplomatic solution with Cragslapistan that alleviated the need for bombing.  She also wouldn't automatically phrase her answer in the form of a question.

Besides, our current President exemplifies the fact that not all men are good at geography and other 'trivia.'
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2004, 05:40:08 pm »

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Pedro: That's a picture of Hitler.  He was a failed painter with one testicle.
JL: That's Mussolini beside him.  At that moment, they're good friends with big plans, which is why your German grandfather lives in Argentina.
Pedro: My German grandfather smells funny.

I'm really starting to enjoy your witty banter, sir.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2004, 02:09:00 am »

Sorry to continue attention whoring, but after this I will let this subject die a merciful death.  However, I just have to gloat a little bit.

Jeopardy films a weeks worth of shows a day.  I was there with the 12 or so people you saw on the preview page.  We arrived a little before 9:00 and filming started at 11:30.  In the meantime the contestant herders warmed us up, asked us questions, rehearsed our little promos, talked about the anecdotes Alex would ask us about.  We got to know each other as much as you can in 3 hours or so.

Now, I'm not the most competitive guy in town, but I do have my moments.  That being said ...

I made the most money!  I made the most money!  I did best!  I did best!

In yo' face, fellow February 4th contestants!  N'yah N'yah N'yah!

Mmwwwahahahahhahahahaha!

Let us never speak of this again.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I am: THE FERMULE
« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2004, 07:03:24 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
I made the most money!  I made the most money!  I did best!  I did best!


It's funny - with all that money, the ol' tip jar here sure is pretty empty.

*ahem*

Anyway, my dang video capture device won't be here until Wed. or Thursday - but I will be testing it by encoding August's Jeopardy clips - and trying out the Ulead editing software on cutting out the commercials.

Should be fun.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up