I have always been a bit confused as to the precise implications of "gamer girl"...How will I ever know how to classify and label myself?
Yes, V, I agree with the others' definitions. You're definitely one of us.
In any event, this Wasteland thing sounds keen. I should play it.
Welcome to the fold, child.You really should seek out a copy of this and give it a read through.
Oh, I have, since then. In fact, you can get a copy
here. Even if you're not interested in playing the game, it might give you an idea of what it's all about.
I am quite proud of my gamer girl conversion rate; I have turned three successive disinterested girlfriends into video game addicts, wielding but a single weapon: Monster Rancher 2.
Pedro will claim the credit for converting me, but he forgets that I was a more hardcore gamer at eight than most people are at eighteen. I just didn't have an up-to-date computer for many, many years. (We went from a C64, purchased ca. 1985, to a Power Mac, purchased ca. 1995. And we all know how macs are for games...) But to hear
PEDRO tell it, he's solely responsible for my geekiness. He tells everyone, "I got my girlfriend interested in video games, and then I married her."
I let him have his delusions. It's the foundation of a happy marriage.
I'll agree. Lots of 20-something guys blow all their money on PS2 games but they aren't really gamers in the same sense that a commuter is not a car-guy. True gamers inhabit a level of geekdom that would gladly embrace RPG's.
Yes, but what are the criteria, then? It must not be platform-dependent (PC games), since RPGers are included. It can't be the amount of time spent, since some eight-year-olds sit on their butts and play video games all summer. It can't be the amount of money spent, unless you index it to the percentage of one's income one spends on electronic media. What is that intangible quality that separates the men from the boys, as it were?
My guess? Intensity. Hardcore gamers shout, scream, cry, laugh, and do the joystick dance* when playing, often to the point of ridicule by non-gamers. Hardcore gamers back-up their savegames on CD. Hardcore gamers will call in sick to work to beat that last level. Hardcore gamers write long missives on message boards proclaiming their superiority over casual gamers.
Hardcore gamers, my friends, buy expansion packs.
*RPGers substitute twelve-sided die voodoo.