Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Merry CHRISTmas!  (Read 17817 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2011, 12:53:39 am »

Christmas Pornaments (if you have to ask if it's NSFW, then maybe you shouldn't use the internet).

Good Lord!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2011, 01:52:59 am »

Merry Crimbo, Fuckos.

By way of a callback, when I'm at work and somebody says "have a good weekend", it does indeed make me unhappy. By the way, this will be the seventh consecutive year I will be at work for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. So all those extra days off my wife will be enjoying again will not be enjoyed with me. This is to say nothing of the fact that I will be traveling on my mother's birthday.

Hope I didn't wreck your holidays, kids! Have fun out there!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2011, 06:48:32 am »

Tonight, after our Christmas thingy, when we were driving Grandma back from my MIL's farm to the care home, she got pretty shaken up when we turned right (toward the care home) instead of left (toward the town she lived in for 80+ years).  Then it became clear that we were basically strangers (to her in that moment) who were driving her to a town and place she didn't know.  Can you imagine how scary that would be?  So there was about a half hour of that, until we got to the home and brought her up to her room, and as I was hanging up her new Christmas sweaters she was looking in her closet at her clothes and fretting that the clothes belonged to someone else, and that I'd put her in some stranger's room. Then she opened the other side of her closet and thankfully there was a jewelry box in there that hubby and I had given her which had our photos (plus a bunch of other family photos), and then I helped her figure out who we are.  Then there was this moment of clarity for her where she said we should drive home before it got too late.  Then she slipped back into the dementia and was confused about why her stuff was in this closet in this strange room.  I explained, gently, and for probably the tenth time that she would be sleeping here, and here were her pj's, and she should get comfy in them and get some rest.  She thought that was a good idea, so we said our goodbyes and she said she wished we lived closer, which was sad but reassured me that she at least knew who I was because she always said that back before the strokes, and I replied the way I always used to that I wished we lived closer too.

So yeah, that and the first highway trip with hubby since he nearly died on the road, and I'm glad to say the roughest part of the holiday season is behind us.

Bonus awfulness: my hubby was in a graduating class of 12, with six boys, and a few years ago four of his male classmates were driving back to the city after Christmas carpool style and got struck by a drunk driver, two died.  As we drove by the highway memorial of where they died we had a talk about how glad we both were that hubby didn't end up that way, and how I was glad I didn't have to put up fake flowers and pick up litter in a ditch somewhere.  We talked a bit about his accident site and how different the highway we were on is to the road he crashed on.   Hubby did pretty well as a passenger. I talked through some techniques for dealing with anxiety before we went, which helped a bit, and really passing the memorial gave him a good opportunity to talk it out too.

Anyway, intense times today, and if that weren't enough to wind me up, I drank a bunch of coke so I'd be extra alert for the 1 1/2hr drive home in the pitch black tonight.  So no sleep for me tonight.  I just offered to go fuck some of this energy out of me though, so it's time to stop typing this on my iPhone and go get busy!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 07:42:50 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2011, 07:45:46 am »

Oh, man, I just realized re-reading my last post that when I thought grandma was having a moment of clarity telling hubby and I that we should drive home because it was so late, that she probably meant all of us, including herself, should be going...  Shit. 

Hubby was so exhausted that by the time I got to him he was down for the count, so no outlet for excess energy has been found.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2011, 10:55:44 am »

Intense times Smells.  You handled it with your usual aplomb though.

I just went to a party and had some girls dancing on my car.  I've also got a glittery face.  My folks Sunday school class is gonna love me when I deliver a framed copy of this photo in a few hours.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2011, 05:14:42 pm »

I love you, Smells. Have a good holiday.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2011, 09:21:37 pm »

Wait, is this the thread where we complain about Christmas, or is it also the thread where we wish each other Merry? 

Regardless, for me, all the hard work is done and it's now time to bask in a world of plenty and feast and drink and celebrate that, after all, the sun does come back.  2011 has been one of the hardest years, but I'm proud of how I made it through.  I'm proud of the strength of all the people I love and how they made it through too.  I'm asking for deep inner peace in 2012.  That's my wish for one and all.  Merry everything to all. La la la!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2011, 10:15:52 pm »

I meant for it to be a thread about wishing everyone happy Christmas or whatever, but I got it started off on the wrong foot with the title of the thread.  It never really recovered from that. 

Regardless.  Happy Christmas to all of you beautiful people.  I love you all.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2011, 02:37:12 am »

...celebrate that, after all, the sun does come back. 

A-men!  I miss the sun. 

I've been a little low lately and not really in any sort of holiday spirit.  But finally yesterday and today I've gotten there a little bit.  Ended up doing halfway OK on getting gifts taken care of too.

Love and happiness to you all!  A new year is beginning and the sun is coming back.  Merry Christmas!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2011, 04:20:59 am »

I made eggnog for the first time yesterday for my friend's christmas lunch and it was delicious and awesome.
Here's to you lovely people and being halfway through the dark (or the light, depending on your hemisphere).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2011, 06:20:15 am »

Fuck xmas, but I am going to eat like a fuckin' king tomorrow.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2011, 02:01:05 pm »

I don't care if you seen this before, you can't watch it too many times.
Hallelujah Chorus -Quinhagak, Alaska

(Anyone who complains about the misplaced apostrophe will be de-canned with extreme prejudice.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2011, 06:27:37 pm »

I don't care if you seen this before, you can't watch it too many times.
Hallelujah Chorus -Quinhagak, Alaska

335 people are joyless grammar Nazis or just misanthropic dicks.

Happy whatever!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2011, 08:28:03 pm »

Christmas Eve we watched a slide show of my mom's family in the 60s and 70s. Little immigrant children have grown up to be a big, great, successful family. Really charming, also I look incredibly like my grandfather. And he got to marry my super-hot Grandma, so I guess things will work out for me. It is really Nuts seeing pictures of my grandma with 2 kids when she was only a little older than me.

Also, several slides of my mom with creepy smoking 70s boyfriend hugging her. Felt extremely uncomfortable, kind of wanted to beat him up.

Now: reflecting on the fact that I might be the jerk who wants to return almost every present. My family still thinks I wear an XL, somehow.

Merry Christmas, TOUAMBs.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Merry CHRISTmas!
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2011, 12:59:32 am »

We're having king crab and New York steaks.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up