Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kepler-22b  (Read 5517 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Kepler-22b
« on: December 06, 2011, 10:13:15 am »

This is good news for those of us that want to abandon this planet.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 02:50:09 pm »

Yeah, they need to get started on the giant self-sustaining pod spaceships right away, so we can go fuck up that planet too.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:18:06 pm »

no one is going anywhere  >:(
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 07:49:06 pm »

Thank you Ash.  We ARE going to space, and the sooner the better. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 08:49:29 pm »

Here's a good article on NPR.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:17:38 am »

If we do not destroy ourselves we will, one day, venture to the stars.

Y'know, unless it looks like it might actually cost some money or something and interfere with the re-election of another mediocre halfwit.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:40:48 am »

Y'know, unless it looks like it might actually cost some money or something and interfere with the re-election of another mediocre halfwit.

It's not going to be a government that takes us to the stars, it'll be private enterprise that gets the job done. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:43:11 am »

It's not going to be a government that takes us to the stars, it'll be private enterprise that gets the job done. 

Yeah, I reckon. Well either Richard Branson or China.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 02:22:59 pm »

Government got us to the moon.

Government won World War II.

Government built the Interstate Highway system.

Government is just another way human beings organize themselves into groups to get things done.  It can do whatever we decide it can.  If you think government has a monopoly on bureaucratic inefficiency, I'd say you're sadly naive.

I read great article by one of my favorite writers, Neal Stephenson, yesterday.  He is lamenting the absence of a "great project" like the space program today.  "We can't Facebook our way out of the current economic status quo."

I think what we need is inspiration.  I think we need a "Great Project" to unite us and to give us purpose.

What scares me is that historically, as often as not, such purpose-providing projects have been wars.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to unite behind something that's actually constructive for once?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 03:18:58 pm »

On this topic, I am torn between my desire to explore and achieve and see what's out there that we never could've guessed and... the fear that we're basically an infection that will only manage to fuck things up on a grander scale if we manage to ever get off this rock in a meaningful and consistent fashion.

It is probably childish or whatever to feel torn about this, it might even be a projection of my own mixed feelings about myself onto the entire race, but this is my honest difficulty with the issue.

Man, look at how much there is out there to see. Man, look at our fuck*ng track record.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 05:14:58 pm »

On this topic, I am torn between my desire to explore and achieve and see what's out there that we never could've guessed and... the fear that we're basically an infection that will only manage to fuck things up on a grander scale if we manage to ever get off this rock in a meaningful and consistent fashion.

Reminded me of this.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 06:05:01 pm »

Personally, I don't see what's wrong with us being an infection.  Do you think salmonella gets all weepy about giving its host the Hershey squirts?  Now screwing up our current, only source of life support is just stupid, but if we can get a sustainable colony going on Mars, Proxima Centauri, or Kepler 22b at the cost of some terraforming and take a pass because "its not natural" or whatever - then we deserve extinction.  If we come across something sentient/self aware that's a different matter.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 06:12:48 pm »

I have heard it suggested that Vonnegut said our species' epitaph will be, "It was too expensive to save ourselves."

I haven't been able to confirm that Vonnegut actually said that, but it's true nonetheless.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 09:18:42 pm »

I'm not a down on government kind of guy, I just don't think it's a priority for any of them right now, mainly because of the no wars thing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Kepler-22b
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »

Well obviously the military will be involved. When we get there and find this planet teaming with life we're gonna need somebody to take care of the indigenous peoples.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up