I was afraid that that post would come across that way, but sometimes trying to explain makes it worse.
I like Vampire Weekend. They are good. Or at least, the album I have heard is good. He is right about what they sound like. I like that sound.
But something about Onstad mentioning a band that I was really into in 2008 makes him sound like a dad. "I heard this really cool band on the internet, Vampire Weekend." He has always had a way of placing cultural references PERFECTLY, especially with music, and this is no different. Teodor is kind of an aging wannabe, and him wondering if this lady has heard the new VW is perfect. Also, I am not sure what counts as the "new" Vampire Weekend single.
Before anyone misunderstands or there is a miscommunication, there is nothing wrong with not following current music, or being older than me, or mentioning a band that you like even if they are not a new band. It is only in the context of Onstad/Teodor that this is funny to me.
I also have a thing about VW, because they do a cover of Everywhere by Fleetwood Mac. When I realized they did a cover of that song, I could basically hear it in my head. I could hear how they would turn the melody into a catchy african-influenced guitar part. I could hear the jangle and the layered polyrhythms.
But it sounds nothing like that. Which is too bad. The version in my head is AWESOME. I should write and record it and tell people this is what the VW cover SHOULD have sounded like.