Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That Word Front, the kind host of TOUAMB.com, offers high quality t-shirts for sale?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Awesome!" A blog entry. Dec 16 2011  (Read 10093 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: "Awesome!" A blog entry. Dec 16 2011
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2012, 02:33:12 pm »

This doesn't sound like Teodore. This does sound like someone I would like to read more of though. Especially after a bunch of beers and a bottle of cheap read wine.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bulldog Jones

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8
  • Hi! Hi!
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: "Awesome!" A blog entry. Dec 16 2011
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2012, 06:54:10 pm »

Personally, I loved the heck out of Part 2, especially when read with part 1 as a single long entry. His "Teodor voice" doesn't seem too rusty to me; I imagine some of the rambly feel comes from the sheer length of the piece. Even though I knew where things were going from the beginning, since no Teodor blog ever ends with him getting laid, I enjoyed it simply for the sake of its being Onstad prose. Plus parts 1 and 2 are chock-full of quotables, including "You only go around once, and I got no truck with god or the devil, so it’s all for a laugh, sometimes", which definitely found its way into my Facebook profile.

That being said, new comic please.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: "Awesome!" A blog entry. Dec 16 2011
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 09:42:23 pm »

Os Mutantes are from Brazil.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: "Awesome!" A blog entry. Dec 16 2011
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 12:46:33 am »

yeah man, come on.

Although maybe he was saying that obscure Argentinian pop sounds like Os mutantes?

But come on. Os? Weird polyrhythms? Not Argentinian, dude.

This whole thing annoyed me. But I was also trying to imagine every problem as him trying to make Teodor seem very unlikable. Mr Bear has also gone into full on Fancy Pretentious Old Ass mode.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: "Awesome!" A blog entry. Dec 16 2011
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 01:59:32 am »

It becomes much better when you read it as Teodore editing after the fact to pretend he handled it with a cool aloofness and cynical wit rather than gibbering, freaking out and stealing a handle of Vlad.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: "Awesome!" A blog entry. Dec 16 2011
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 09:16:16 am »

yeah man, come on.

Although maybe he was saying that obscure Argentinian pop sounds like Os mutantes?

But come on. Os? Weird polyrhythms? Not Argentinian, dude.

This whole thing annoyed me. But I was also trying to imagine every problem as him trying to make Teodor seem very unlikable. Mr Bear has also gone into full on Fancy Pretentious Old Ass mode.

Yeah, I kinda thought about that, but they (with two other dudes) basically define a genre that is essentially Brazilian.  I know you know this, I;m just sayin...
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: "Awesome!" A blog entry. Dec 16 2011
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 02:16:59 pm »

Yep, it had its good moments and some quotables, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who read it thinking "Teódor, please stop being you"...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

CortesDiddy

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile
Re: "Awesome!" A blog entry. Dec 16 2011
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 07:39:39 pm »

I kind of figured how this would end back in January. Teodor, he of the eternally frustrated libido. T still sounds like T IMO, but it's kind of lame how Mr. Bear has since developed; his dialogue doesn't really convey anything. I can't believe anybody would ever talk that way in any situation. Some of his phrases were familiar, but his dialogue has gone wayyy too purple.

I think it's interesting how the phrase "take no truck" was first used by Nice Pete.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:55:31 pm by CortesDiddy »
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up