It is not fair to say that the South is entirely racist as fuck.
It IS, I think, fair to say that there are large swaths of the South where it is common, accepted and encouraged by the dominant authorities and a large vocal majority of the population to be racist as fuck. Where either it is that the people who are racist as fuck have all the power to speak or that maybe a lot of the people are merely kinda racist and don't particularly fight the popular thrust of racist as fuck-ness.
Boston is certainly as virulently racist against African-American as any Georgia backwater hamlet but at least Boston has the decency to be publicly ashamed of it and try to downplay it and deny it.
Certain areas of exurbia at the edge of the Los Angeles metro area are as racist against Latinos as any burnt-out coal mining town in West Virginia but there's a certain level of accepting that if they don't hold back on it at least a little bit, they'd have no minorities to build all their houses and make all their food for about a third of what you could pay non-oppressed types.
There's making sure not to make a blanket statement against a people in general but there's also, like, not admitting to the truth on the ground. You get outside of the urban and educational centres in a lot of the South and the southern Midwest and... okay, sure, there's a significant minority of people who aren't racist and probably the majority of people are just casually racist, not assholes running around in hoods and shit...
But there's something to be said for the fact that in those areas, the forces in cultural charge are racist as fuck and there aren't nearly enough people standing up against it, whether because they're less-racist-but-still-racist fellow travelers in hate or outnumbered or whatever.
I think that when you say "Much of the rural South is racist as fuck" shouldn't have to be parsed out with four paragraphs about how there's many individual exceptions and, hey, if you're close enough to Chapel Hill or Austin, there's token resistance to it or so on or so forth. Sometimes you just say things in shorthand and it doesn't mean you're being a jerk, unless someone's trying to attack you by intentionally reading malice into your brevity as false ammo against you.
Much of the rural South IS racist as fuck and largely unashamed.
Also, yeah, I have been told by a lot of people in developing countries that... driving really is just a very different thing in places without the money for good roads and lights and signs and highway police and such. It's not that they're bad drivers, genetically or culturally, they just learned how to drive in a very different economic structures.
I'm sure I'd be the shitty driver in Mumbai, fuck*ng it up for everyone else. Hell, I've still never gotten behind the wheel of a car in Manhattan. Even when I lived in Brooklyn for a year, fuck no, man. Take the train or get a ride in the car from my Long Island raised girlfriend.
I'm a very good driver on Rust Belt open roads or Los Angeles slow gridlock but ancient tightly-packed Northeastern metropolis driving is just not something I'm trained for.