Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Prescriptive grammar  (Read 38913 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2013, 07:20:57 pm »

I can explain why they type slash instead of using the punctuation. If they have an old style phone like I do the slash requires pushing the button 10 damn times.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2013, 02:10:43 pm »

How about the use of "however comma?" I can see it every once in a blue moon when you are trying to be particularly dramatic or foreboding when dropping a qualifier. But there's this one woman I know via work who I think is incapable of saying "however" without saying "however comma." She once said it four times in a presentation of about 30 minutes.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2013, 02:15:04 pm »

Wait wait wait. 
You're saying that she actually speaks the word "comma" after saying "however"?

No way.  I think that would be sufficient cause for a throat punching.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2013, 03:33:04 pm »

You're saying that she actually speaks the word "comma" after saying "however"?

That is precisely what I'm saying. And it's to the point where she either doesn't realize she's doing it, or maybe she actually thinks that's what you're supposed to say.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2013, 03:45:49 pm »

No way.  I think that would be sufficient cause for a throat punching.

Especially four times in half an hour.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2013, 07:33:36 pm »

I'm going to dinner with some friends tonight. I'm gonna see how many times I can get away with saying it before they tell me to stop.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2013, 08:20:08 pm »

We are adopting a puppy. His name is Samson. We're considering making his official name on the AKC paperwork "Samson Comma Brock"
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2013, 08:06:16 pm »

So if I call people out, say on Twitter, for screamingly obvious grammar fouls (in this case "your" vs "you're," by responding with "What about my golden?"), am I a dick or performing a public service?

In the grand scheme of things, I think people who can't figure out "your" vs. "you're" deserve to be called out, so maybe they'll fuck*ng learn. On the other hand, I can see people going "Christ, what an asshole."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2013, 08:44:59 pm »

So if I call people out, say on Twitter, for screamingly obvious grammar fouls (in this case "your" vs "you're," by responding with "What about my golden?"), am I a dick or performing a public service?

In the grand scheme of things, I think people who can't figure out "your" vs. "you're" deserve to be called out, so maybe they'll fuck*ng learn. On the other hand, I can see people going "Christ, what an asshole."

I probably make most of my errors on FB and Twitter due to swipe-based typing where your/you're and I'll/ill are exactly the same input. I fix those when I notice but if I'm tweeting from my phone then I'm doing something and not looking at my feed at all which means I likely won't spot the error for hours.

I don't really get reading Twitter on a phone. The client never seems to be able to pull all the tweets since I last logged in only the last 200 or so and so many of the tweets are links I don't have time to follow/don't have a mobile site/have flash/etc.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2013, 09:16:32 pm »

You are actually doing a public service, but will be viewed as a dick.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2013, 10:16:02 pm »

Sorry, you're a dick. Public shaming is not a useful technique for teaching writing. Or anything, probably.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2013, 03:08:27 am »

Spelling stuff is cool here right?

I find I'm increasingly irritated by seeing "ya" in place of "yeah" in texts and stuff. I'm also a bit irritated at myself for being irritated by that.

I'm irritable these days.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2013, 04:09:34 am »

Spelling stuff is cool here right?

I find I'm increasingly irritated by seeing "ya" in place of "yeah" in texts and stuff. I'm also a bit irritated at myself for being irritated by that.

I'm irritable these days.

Ya and Yeah have essentially the same meaning. I get irritable at people who use yeah when they mean yay!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2013, 04:18:08 am »

Sometimes I get irritated with that and sometimes I do it.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2013, 04:41:54 am »

there's a moron on one of my facebook groups who, when meaning "yum" in response to a photo of food, alwaysALWAYS types "ummm." this bothers me perhaps more than it should. strike that - far more than it should.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up