Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Prescriptive grammar  (Read 38947 times)

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2013, 11:35:14 pm »

I want to know who made the first misinterpretation of captioned photos, go back in time, and drop an education beatdown on their ignorant ass.  Memes (were) a neat part of the increasing interconnection of Internet users through the mid 2000's.  They obviously still exist, but talking about them is endlessly complicated by this glitch.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2013, 12:26:33 pm »

I want to know who made the first misinterpretation of captioned photos, go back in time, and drop an education beatdown on their ignorant ass.

You'd be all, "know your meme, motherfucker."
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2013, 01:57:10 pm »

Survey: "On" like "Dawn" or like "Con" ?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2013, 02:32:45 pm »

Do you know that there is a complication to your question, which is that in many dialects of American English, the vowel in "Dawn" and "Con" - to make it more confusing, "Dawn" and "Don" - are the same? Or are you perfectly well aware of that and trying to mess with those people's minds?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2013, 03:04:31 pm »

Where I'm from Dawn and Don are not the same and On is not like either one of them. On is the same as own.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2013, 03:22:24 pm »

none of the above. all three vowels are slightly different:

Con (Don) is a flat "ah" sound (tonge forward, mouth wide)
On is a rounder "aw" sound (lips and mouth relaxed, tongue floating)
Dawn is a very tall, almost purely "ww" sound with an "ah" underneath (jaw low, lips far apart, corners of mouth close together, tongue back)

Own is completely different, a dipthongy tightening starting with a flat "oh" and ending with a tight "ww" - but i'm not from texas.

do those position descriptions make sense?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2013, 05:24:14 pm »

http://xkcd.com/1285/

This has become a point of contention among some of my spaceface friends. I'm a single spacer all day long and after looking at the MLA and APA recommendations, it is conclusive that the rule is single space after a period. The Bedford Handbook (MLA) we used in Rhetoric class itself uses only one space after every period. APA calls for a double space only in drafts to make editing easier. Double spacing is only for papers you intend to correct later or college students trying to tease out a paper's length to meet minimum requirements. Double spacers are trying to tear us apart with their hollow vanity. Monospacers are bringing us all closer together.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2013, 08:25:10 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2013, 06:29:03 pm »

Marvin Gaye said it, I believe it, that settles it!

If there was a church that based all their services around the music of Marvin Gaye, I would totally go to that church.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Noo6dxBaE
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #115 on: November 04, 2013, 08:50:20 pm »

APA calls for a double space only in drafts to make editing easier. Double spacing is only for papers you intend to correct later or college students trying to tease out a paper's length to meet minimum requirements. Double spacers are trying to tear us apart with their hollow vanity.
I double space by habit, but if I want to switch to single space, a Find/Replace with "  " to " " does the trick nicely.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2013, 10:16:36 pm »

If there was a church that based all their services around the music of Marvin Gaye, I would totally go to that church.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Noo6dxBaE

Would you settle for Saint John Coltrane?
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2013, 10:21:41 pm »

If there was a church that based all their services around the music of Marvin Gaye, I would totally go to that church.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Noo6dxBaE

Praise the Lord!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2013, 08:44:40 pm »

I mean they spell 'yeah' y-a. To me they are two words that mean the same thing. They are treating ya as an alternate spelling of yeah. Don't ask why this bothers me.

I identified why this bothers me. If I text someone a question like 'would you like me to bring some beer to go with the nachos?' and they reply 'Fuck ya!' I don't know if they are replying emphatically in the affirmative or telling me to fuck off.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Prescriptive grammar
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2013, 08:59:52 pm »

And if anyone questions whether anyone would actually say or write 'fuck ya' in place of 'fuck you' I offer this as a source: http://rapgenius.com/66278
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up