Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)  (Read 3881 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:39:10 pm »

What amuses Beef so in his little private Scrabble game?

permalink
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 01:57:27 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:57:58 pm »

That is important information.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:25:36 pm »

The correct thread title is "There is tapioca just off the lobby." "Straight-up science miracle" runs a close second.

I was laughing at myself that I was checking to see if a strip had been posted.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:33:59 pm »

Zineb is apparently some sort of chemical compound. Maybe these are actual words that Beef knows would cause arguments in a dictionary-free game of scrabble?
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:50:12 pm »

Zineb is apparently some sort of chemical compound. Maybe these are actual words that Beef knows would cause arguments in a dictionary-free game of scrabble?

that wouldnt surprise me at all.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:06:59 pm »

I assumed he was noticing Kazenzakis (sort of) on the board.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 06:35:45 pm »

my thought was that he was fantasizing about an awesome game of scrabble where he got to use all his fancy words because of ideal placement.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:14:05 pm »

I think I once drove a guy to get a prince albert, without knowing I was driving a guy to get a prince albert.  He told me he was getting something else pierced ( a facial piercing).  He was in the room with the piercer for quite a while, and then he came out and said that he chickened out.  I only later learned he got a prince albert, and I'm thinking that was why he was acting so strangely at the time, and why getting a ride to and from was so important to him.  This was one of a a series of lies from the same dude that I totally believed.  The much bigger lie was "I will be your boyfriend one day" when the truth was "I am a homosexual."  Oh well.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:31:13 pm »

It took me a long while to realise you meant that you drove him in your car.  I was thinking that you drove him to get a Prince Albert in the way that a man might use the phrase, "she drove me to drink". 
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:38:46 pm »

Keep this up, JT, and you will have the highest cans-to-posts ratio in town.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 09:29:02 pm »

Well, I'd say it's possible that I drove him to get the piercing and into being gay, but if I'm to believe Lady Gaga, in both cases, he was born this way.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:59:20 am by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 01:58:08 am »

It took me a long while to realise you meant that you drove him in your car.  I was thinking that you drove him to get a Prince Albert in the way that a man might use the phrase, "she drove me to drink". 

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Also, I didn't notice it on the first read, but it looks like Beef is brushing Ray's statement off the board in the last panel.  Something tells me that this is one of those science miracles that won't be making the journals.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 02:37:44 am »

Also, I didn't notice it on the first read, but it looks like Beef is brushing Ray's statement off the board in the last panel.  Something tells me that this is one of those science miracles that won't be making the journals.

That last panel could be so easily manipulated to make it look like Beef making sure Ray's claim is legit.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Islefrank

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 08:18:20 am »

I'm a pretty shallow Scrabble fan, but to me Beef's board suggests tournament-level nerdery. QI, QAT, and ZA are the three most statistically valuable words in Scrabble, and iconic plays; KA is also a common way to dump a point-laden but ugly letter. I don't know who knows ZINEB unless they're actively studying Scrabble words or are in a relevant field, which Beef is not.

He also knows his two-letter words, including TE, which isn't legal in North America (it is good under the larger SOWPODS dictionary used everywhere else). But I think that in Beef's fantasy, the U.S. has finally adopted SOWPODS, and I think he has a right to that fantasy.

He's also clearly burning the B on purpose -- maybe setting up a bingo, maybe deliberately clogging the board for his private pleasure.

(Everything Scrabble by Edley and Williams contains the anagram "UNBALANCED RACK = CAN EARN BAD LUCK," which is just one of the many Achewoodian things about the Scrabble world.)
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: oh beautiful just say it dude (01-03-2012)
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 10:19:28 am »

^^^ thats class, dudes

i always loved that the last word in my childhood scrabble dictionary was ZYZZYVA n. a tropical weevil.  at least once every ten months, i think of the word zyzzyva.  zizz zweave uh.

anyway i was supremely exicted when i saw the box for Super Scrabble.  three more rows on each side, quad scoring squares, and two sets of tiles.  turns out though none of my friends like it because it takes too long.  they're right though, its probably not possible to finish in under two hours
Logged
ACHIEVE
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up