Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How Should I ask For a Job?  (Read 2946 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
How Should I ask For a Job?
« on: January 03, 2012, 08:56:59 pm »

There is a company I would like to work for, a really awesome web design company here in town.  I know the owner of the company personally, but not well.  I run into him at artcar events.  We are friends on Facebook and Flickr and we have lots of mutual friends.

I was thinking I might send him a message on Facebook saying such as I would like to work for your company.  What do I need to do to make that happen?

Do you think that's a good idea?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:15:20 pm »

No.  I'd call him.  Facebooking him seems pretty unprofessional. 

Of course, maybe since it's a web design job it's different.  I don't know that culture. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 09:24:18 pm »

Yeah, I'd recommend calling or asking in person. It might put him on the spot a bit, but you're more likely to get an answer right away, even if it's "Let me see what we have going on and I'll let you know."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:33:18 pm »

I was also going to suggest calling him, but maybe to invite him out for a lunch to specifically discuss work prospects.  If you have social leverage with the guy, he's more likely to be honest about the prospects if you meet face to face, away from his office. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:00:17 am »

I'm going with Smells here, but modified. Invite him out to talk about work prospects in general, advice about how to look for a job in the field. It makes someone feel important if you ask them for advice. And then it would naturally come up to talk about how cool his company is, and what would you have to do to specifically work there.

I also wouldn't Facebook him, but I think communicating by email is completely appropriate for a web job. I would email him to ask to set up a lunch. Personally I am always weirded out by people who try to phone me without setting it up by email first. What century do they live in? For a job like that you don't want to give the impression that you don't know how to use the internet.

I don't agree with calling him out of the blue and putting him on the spot. That will make him uncomfortable and no one wants to work with someone who makes them uncomfortable. I don't see the value of bullying him into giving some kind of answer right away - you can't bludgeon someone into giving you a job.

Again, maybe this differs in different fields, but I've worked in a lot of vastly different jobs and there isn't one of them where I could have bettered my chances of being hired by calling someone without warning.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 02:20:40 am »

I am in the same boat. Today my roommate said "dude, I don't want you to feel like I am bugging you or telling you you are doing things wrong, but... it seems like you spend a lot of time looking for jobs on the internet, even though we know a bunch of people who do things related to what you want to do. Maybe you should ask them to hire you."

Beyond sympathizing, I cannot advise. All of the people above are smart.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 03:22:22 am »

I'm going with Smells here, but modified. Invite him out to talk about work prospects in general, advice about how to look for a job in the field. It makes someone feel important if you ask them for advice. And then it would naturally come up to talk about how cool his company is, and what would you have to do to specifically work there.

I also wouldn't Facebook him, but I think communicating by email is completely appropriate for a web job. I would email him to ask to set up a lunch. Personally I am always weirded out by people who try to phone me without setting it up by email first. What century do they live in? For a job like that you don't want to give the impression that you don't know how to use the internet.

I don't agree with calling him out of the blue and putting him on the spot. That will make him uncomfortable and no one wants to work with someone who makes them uncomfortable. I don't see the value of bullying him into giving some kind of answer right away - you can't bludgeon someone into giving you a job.

Again, maybe this differs in different fields, but I've worked in a lot of vastly different jobs and there isn't one of them where I could have bettered my chances of being hired by calling someone without warning.



I once called a guy and asked to meet to talk and his response was basically 'I eat lunch at my desk and even this conversation is distracting me from productive uses of my time'. The same guy gave me work when I asked his wife why he was so busy and if he could use some stress load relief. As for your situation, call the person directly and ask questions about availability of work in the field. This doesn't put him on the spot but opens up a referral. Unless you have a salesperson personality and enjoy pressuring people into decisions.  IMHO
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 01:59:09 am »

I have trouble imagining Paul wanting to work somewhere where people don't take the time to have a lunch with another person they enjoy the company of.  I have no trouble imagining AC wanting to work somewhere where such a thing is de rigur.  Neither position is wrong mind you, just different work styles and different types of finding satisfaction. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 12:57:21 am »

I'll be the voice of unreason and say Paul, the fuck you want a job for? You're my hero - no job, all posting videos of making popcorn and driving around in a flaming car and meeting all kinds of beautiful women . . . I guess a person could get a job but I don't know why.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 03:37:02 am »

I'll be the voice of unreason and say Paul, the fuck you want a job for? You're my hero - no job, all posting videos of making popcorn and driving around in a flaming car and meeting all kinds of beautiful women . . . I guess a person could get a job but I don't know why.

Fuck man, what was I thinking.  Ha ha.  Oh yeah, I need money.  Goddammit!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 05:33:51 pm »

Fuck man, what was I thinking.  Ha ha.  Oh yeah, I need money.  Goddammit!



See this is what the News Box is getting at. You should be subsidized by somebody, some car manufacturer or art collective or some shit. Not me, of course, but somebody.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 05:57:47 pm »

I need a paypal account.  Y'all can all donate to maintain my lifestyle.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 09:47:45 pm »

I need a paypal account.  Y'all can all donate to maintain my lifestyle.

You write up a comic and I'll send you a double-sawbuck.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 09:49:10 pm »

Paul lives a comic, he doesn't need to write one.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: How Should I ask For a Job?
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 09:55:20 pm »

He could make one out of his photographs. Just attach speech balloons.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up