I finally joined the 21st century and got a real actual smartphone last month, and as expected I am now a total smartphone dork.
One application that I kind of enjoy is Foursquare, which allows you to "check in" to local businesses and such, and then it can notify your appointed friends that you are at that place. Theoretically, one could then come and hang out with you, if they're in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, Foursquare notifies you (if you have that turned on) of check-ins by your friends for your entire city. You can't narrow it down to a radius of, say, a mile or two. Which is too bad, because in my case I give a crap if anyone checks in anywhere in Maryland, because that might as well be 500 miles away. If someone checks in at a bar in my own suburb, that would be worth knowing. But right now it's all or nothing, and I have it set to nothing. I have to actually look at the app to see that local check-in, and by the time I see it, it may well be too late.
Furthermore, I would very much like to post my rules of checking in:
1. You should not check in to your own house, or into other people's houses. The idea is that you are checking in to public spaces, so others might come track you down.
2. You should not check in to your own place of employment. If you are the mayor [the person with the most check-ins] at Old Navy, that should be because you love Old Navy and shop there all the damn time, not because you WORK there.
3. You should not check in to Metro or subway stations, or the bus, or the Pennsylvania turnpike. That's just dumb. Check in to places that others might actually find interesting. (An exception would be made if you were in Paris or something. Then people might actually think that's of interest.)
Yes, all of these are based on real-life examples. If I post this on Facebook I will probably lose some friends.
Anyone else on this goofy thing? Or other social network-y smartphone apps I should scope out?