Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid  (Read 8616 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 03:57:01 pm »

Twitter, Urban Spoon, MegaWorm and a free flashlight app.
Oh also USB disk. I upgraded to pro because it's got a wireless drive function, otherwise you need to use itunes to put stuff on it. It's not the best substitute for a flash drive for that reason but it is quite nifty for downloading stuff on the go and I use it as my default pdf reader.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 02:09:24 am »

Yay, who just impulse-bought a $25 app (Remember the Milk) without checking the free version first and got stuck with something that will never be used?

I use RTM all the time, albeit the free version. The only benefit I know of to paying is that you can sync your phone app to the web version at any time--for the free version, you can only sync every 24 hours. I would like to be able to do it more often, but not for $25 I don't.

I know there are to-do list apps that add RPG functionality. Like, you set "levels" for your tasks, and when you complete them you get experience points and treasure and stuff. I need to track down one of those.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 12:56:55 pm »

Sigh. All I wanted from RTM was that it would remind me of shit I was supposed to do, but it doesn't seem to have an alarm/reminder type of thing. What are my notes good for if they just stay there in the device? I need this motherfucker to come to life screaming and kicking when it's time for me to get shit done! I know RTM is supposed to have reminders. Maybe I need a slightly less smart phone, but I can't for the life of me understand how they're supposed to work! Same problem with Evernote...

Any suggestions?

Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »

I use RTM for an overall to do list--tasks that I need to do but that don't have a specific date or time associated with them. You can set a due date on RTM tasks, but unless you actually go into RTM and look at "Today," you won't notice. I think you can also set it up to have you e-mail you with the days tasks.

For things that I have to do on a specific day, I use the out-of-the-box Reminders app on the iPhone. That you can set up to have it notify you at a specific date and time. Also, my reminder sound is the "Sherwood Forest" trumpet blast, which sounds awesome.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 03:32:56 pm »

I see. So, the hunt continues...

By the way, Google Goggles is officially the future, now. I feel like Deckard in Blade Runner running that bad boy on the most inane things imaginable. "So apparently this is a 'bag' of something called... 'Doritos'? Mmm."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:42:47 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 03:40:34 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 03:52:18 pm »

OK, here is a useful feature on Foursquare: I took my "restaurants I want to check out" list, previously maintained in a text file, and put it in Foursquare as a "to-do list." Then I can call it up and it will show me them on a map, tell me what's close by. That'll be useful when out and about in the city.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 12:16:47 am »

Sigh. All I wanted from RTM was that it would remind me of shit I was supposed to do, but it doesn't seem to have an alarm/reminder type of thing. What are my notes good for if they just stay there in the device? I need this motherfucker to come to life screaming and kicking when it's time for me to get shit done! I know RTM is supposed to have reminders. Maybe I need a slightly less smart phone, but I can't for the life of me understand how they're supposed to work! Same problem with Evernote...

Any suggestions?
Is it an android phone? You can set (recurring) events in google calendar and have it email/text/etc. reminders in addition to popping up as regular old alert on your phone.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »

Yep, Android. I'll try some of that and let's see how it goes.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 05:15:46 pm »

I don't have a smartphone so I don't know from foursquare, but I just made a 2400 mile trip with a 25 year old who loves it.  She checked in everywhere we went.  I must admit it seems like a lot of fun, but I was probably just feeding off of her enthusiasm. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 08:47:19 pm »

2400 miles in a road vehicle with a 25-year-old . . . . you are either going to really get into whatever she's into, or the trip is going to end in 50 miles, I'd think.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 11:09:49 pm »

She's a very sweet young lady.  Very easy to get along with.  And she went along with the flow well.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 05:33:38 am »

Vaguely back on topic - this thread made me think "oh yeah, Foursquare!" and now I have that app.  The end.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 07:16:09 pm »

I have discovered that one guy is mayor of 52 locations in and around our town, including nearly every store in a particular shopping center. I wasted some time researching that, and figured out that if you just take the seven restaurants he's mayor of in that shopping center, he has checked into them 132 times in 60 days. So he eats pretty much every meal in those places, plus snacks.

Or he's a cheater who does "drive-by check-ins," which Foursquare discourages, but apparently can't prevent altogether.

I will destroy him. (Haven't figured out how yet.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Foursquare: fun, yet stupid
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 07:29:46 pm »

Hold up - this thing actually characterizes a person as "the mayor" of a location if they visit it the most? I thought that was just a thing you guys were doing.

Hm.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up