Paul? Uh, Paul, is your Spidey sense tingling? This thread is calling you!
Having a Handlebar moustache means you get to learn that "different" is really just a code word for "weird." It keeps a lot of people at bay.
I like wearing a handlebar for several reasons. First and foremost I love the way it looks. I think it's sexy and some ladies agree. I also like that since it's become so rare in modern society (although I think it's starting to make a minor comeback) that it does stand out and make a bold statement. But unlike tattoos and body piercings it's stylish and sofisticated and not simply a pathetic attempt to look cool.
Having said all that, I think the question was, how much effort does it require. On a day to day basis, not a whole lot. It takes me about 3-5 minutes to apply the wax and make the curls. It does require periodic maintanence. I trim about once every two weeks or so. Also, the wax is water soluable so it's necessary to be careful not to let it get too wet.
Much more than you ever wanted to know.
~Paul