The past couple weeks my arthritis has flared up very severely, worse than ever before. The pain is debilitating, and worse still I can barely sleep because of it. I can't take pain med's because of having destroyed my stomach through a combo of previous use of pain med's for the same condition and sever food poisoning. If I do take something (OTC) I get mild alleviation for a brief period, but nothing that lasts.
I was telling one of my coworkers about this when one of our traditional elders joined our conversation. He said he "has a guy" and would consult with him. So first thing this morning, the elder shows up with a paper bag full of dried traditional medicines, carefully hand labelled "arthritis" that I am to boil up and drink three times a day. The smell from this bag is intimidatingly unfamiliar, intense, medicinal yet somewhat pleasant. I'm feeling uncertain about if I want to take this medicine or not. I trust this elder, and such an offering of trust is in itself an honour. The thing is, having interviewed elders in the past, and read up on traditional medicine I know that some of the stuff is very powerful. For example, I've interviewed the relatives of traditional medicine practitioners who had a hand in the creation of what became known as Aspirin. The appropriation of a traditional treatment that was then developed for the mass market lead many traditional practitioners to become secretive about their practices. What's the secrecy about? Partially it's about preventing the exploitation of the minimal traditional resources that are out there, and about coming from a culture where so much abuse from outside sources has caused a turning inward. Still, anyone with an ounce of pessimism can guess some of the other base causes of secrecy - some of the stuff practitioners are doing, if examined might be found to be ineffective, while other aspects could be found to be harmful. So here I am, with my doubting mind and a bag full of plant bits with a choice to make.
I was informed when given the medicines that I will now need to make an offering of tobacco to the medicine man, which is the traditional response to someone responding to a request for help. That the dude is asking for the traditional offering (rather than money) and also that he is working with an elder I respect says something positive.
I don't know. Thoughts?