Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Brandy  (Read 8388 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Brandy
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:51:30 pm »

This month grandma turns 95. As you can imagine she's hard to shop for. A few times over the years she's mentioned a cocktail she used to love that nobody makes any more. So I'm getting her the ingredients for a stinger, white creme de menth and brandy. But I know dick-all about brandy. Can somebody suggest one?
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Brandy
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 06:07:43 pm »

This poor little topic. I wish I could give you some advice, as I've been known to toss back a bevvy on occasion, but I don't know anything about Brandy.

Wait, I do know one thing. I can't recommend the blackberry variety, unless you want terrifying vomit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Brandy
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »

Sloe gin is worse the second time around too.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Brandy
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 07:01:11 pm »

Cognac and armagnac are in the brandy family, but for the most part I think when people say "brandy" they mean American brandy. E&J was the brand we served where I used to tend bar. The only other brand I know of us Christian Brothers, which you should already be aware of. Is there a premium American brandy out there? probably, but I couldn't tell you what it is.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Brandy
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:55:51 pm »

You're a fine girl.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Brandy
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:23:11 pm »

I have little to add except to day I have always wanted to try apricot brandy, but then when I get to the store I find myself looking at a bunch of random bottles and giving up.  If anyone figures out the whole brandy situation, let me know.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Brandy
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 08:26:52 pm »

Tupac let us know that darkshit is pretty dope:

Even the cops can't stop us, my enemies flip
when they see me drink a fifth of that Hennessy


Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Brandy
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 08:39:01 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Brandy
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 09:30:40 pm »

What the dog on a log am I missing here?

I'm sorry dude, but I had to take a can away for that.  I played that song in junior high school band.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Brandy
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 10:04:52 pm »

Huh.  I always thought that song was by Rod Stewart.  Not a fan.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Brandy
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 10:30:12 pm »

Christ, I was five when that thing came out.

I was 9.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Brandy
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 10:32:18 pm »

Perhaps this will help you with your education.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Brandy
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 10:43:57 pm »

After watching the video a couple of things.

1. The singer is much much younger than I would have imagined.  I guess, since I was so young when I first heard this that everyone was much older than me and that impression has stuck.

2.  Something about the way he sings, seeing him, reminds me of Chris Rock. Weird.

3.  Rickenbacker Bass.  Rock!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Brandy
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 03:33:59 am »

I was 9.

I was T minus 7 and I know that song.

It doesn't hurt (or help, really) that the name of the song is the name of the subject of my most enduring and pathetic crush. Christ. I still wear a goddamn hat for this girl.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Brandy
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 03:34:33 am »

It's a karaoke mainstay.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up