Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I HATE days like 09/01  (Read 13890 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2004, 09:21:54 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Yeah, I thought twee was a style of music that's like emo, only lighter, more jangly, and cuter.  Like, for 14 year old girls who are too mature for Britney Spears.


Yup. It kind of is!
And Belle and Sebastian - so fuck*ng twee it hurts.

And I'm with Palm Trees on SOAD's tuning. Tis rather good.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2004, 11:40:51 pm »

I kinda like "twee" bands. Like Belle & Sebastian or Travis or Blur (at times).

Anyway, yeah.  That's that.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2004, 06:26:01 am »

Quote from: "jough"
I kinda like "twee" bands. Like Belle & Sebastian or Travis or Blur (at times).


Yeah, and the Moody f'n Blues too.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2004, 08:17:03 am »

OK I don't know anythign about the Moody Blues (?) I was just referring to all the stave mnemonics.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2004, 11:41:49 am »

Quote from: "ndpatel"
am i the only one who always wondered why these mneomics were invented? cause, i mean, it's just EFGABCDEF when you put the lines and spaces together. i blew people's minds with this information in high school. why the run-around? anyone?


That's funny.

But, two reasons I think. 1. Even though it goes in alphabetical order, you have to know what parts of the alphabet are on the lines and what part on the spaces, right?  OK, maybe you can just memorize that E is on the first line but also... 2. If you're staring at the top space, say, and can't remember what it is, it's faster to only have to run through the four steps of the mnemonic than all the intervening ones.

I post this in place of a mnemonic about Echidnas which I have failed to construct.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2004, 07:29:56 pm »

How 'bout:

Echidnas Got Big Droopy Feet

or

Echidnas: Great Big Dumb Fuckers
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2004, 09:45:27 pm »

Oh, thank you.  

Your use of punctuation in the second one opens up all kinds of useful possibilities.  And also that one's pretty much true if the one echidna I knew was representative.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2004, 02:22:00 am »

A topical, if somewhat strained one:

Eagles: Green Bay's Down Fall.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2004, 02:34:38 am »

You should see the face-painter jackoffs running down the street around here.  

Just un-be-fuck*ng-lievable.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2004, 03:58:22 am »

Sometimes I think if the Eagles go to the Super Bowl, or the Phillies or Flyers make their respective championships and actually look like they're going to win, maybe I'd go up to Philly for the final game.

Then I come to my senses and I think, "There would be a riot, and they'd probably set my car on fire."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2004, 04:48:13 am »

Dude, if the Eagles or Flyers ever won anything, there would be a mass riot in the streets.  Cars up and down Broad Street would be aflame, and you would likely be stripped naked, painted green, and run up the flagpole by your johnson.

People in Philly take their sports VERY seriously.  I was accosted by the mongrels who would ask me "How bout dem birds?" about fifty times on my way home today, and all I did was stop to get a paper and coffee.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2004, 04:56:38 am »

I always thought they took football too seriously around here considering the Skins were on the front page above the fold even in 2000 when the presidency was still being contested.

Then I heard about the booing Santa incident in Philly. You guys totally win for fanery, rudeness, and likelyhood of violence regardless of actual game outcome.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2004, 02:10:31 pm »

Philly fans have their flaws, but jeez, the Post had front page items AND five plus pages in the sports section about Coach Gibbs on consecutive days.  You'd think he's the Messiah or something.  Gonna take more than Gibbs to fix that team.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2004, 02:20:13 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Philly fans have their flaws, but jeez, the Post had front page items AND five plus pages in the sports section about Coach Gibbs on consecutive days.  You'd think he's the Messiah or something.  Gonna take more than Gibbs to fix that team.


Can we please not talk about sports, I just ate.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

V-Adore

  • Guest
I HATE days like 09/01
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2004, 07:26:44 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Philly fans have their flaws, but jeez, the Post had front page items AND five plus pages in the sports section about Coach Gibbs on consecutive days.  You'd think he's the Messiah or something.  Gonna take more than Gibbs to fix that team.

See, I may be biased on this issue, but I just got back from a winter vacation in Lincoln, Nebraska, where the front page was dedicated for weeks to the attempts of the college team to hire a new head coach. Compared to that ongoing odyssey, news about professional football with fixed coaches seems... almost sort of vaguely reasonable.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up