Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pincher or Poker?  (Read 3123 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Pincher or Poker?
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:06:08 am »

1 of these things is not like the others...


Apropos of nothing - I just saw the Romney & Santorum pics and noticed their similar gesture.  Reminded me of Bill Clinton's "ATM pinch" way of pointing during speeches and debates.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:33:08 am »

It's nice being Canadian.  It's nice to look at a picture of Santorum and Romney and at first thing it's two pictures of the same guy.  It's nice not getting most of the media coverage about these dudes.  It's really, really hard for me to imagine a circumstance where either of these awful men somehow get voted in as president.  Don't let me down America, okay?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 12:42:58 am »

It's called "The Claw," and yes, it's part of image management. Pointing is too aggressive, but you've got to do something with your hands, so the curved index finger resting on the thumb is an affectation used by many candidates for emphasis. Obama's version looks more like The Shocker, which is funny but also a bit disturbing.

Pedro uses The Claw at work meetings. It's actually very effective at making people think you have authority without making them think you're a jerk.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:05:59 am »

Pincher or poker? I hardly know her!
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 02:27:31 am »

It's nice being Canadian.  It's nice to look at a picture of Santorum and Romney and at first thing it's two pictures of the same guy.  It's nice not getting most of the media coverage about these dudes.  It's really, really hard for me to imagine a circumstance where either of these awful men somehow get voted in as president.  Don't let me down America, okay?

I thought they were the same guy too at first.  And I'm gonna try not to let you down. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:41:12 am »

I hope we don't let you down too. But just in case.... do you have a spare room?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:58:18 am »

For you?  Any day!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:58:42 pm »

I can't even believe those are the options on the right side of the aisle. I'm still having a hard time assimilating it.

As for letting down our Canadian friends, well, you've never left us yet and we've let you down a thousand times. We won't change until we have to.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:16:27 pm »

I was mentioning all this to my hubby, and especially how I've had intentional blinders on about the Republican Primaries, and he told me about the Romney dog strapped to car roof and I really didn't want to believe him so I did a little googling, and, well gah!  Of course I'd heard plenty about Santorum before this thanks to Savage Love...  They are both pretty unthinkable as potential leaders. 

Anyway, I'm trying not to follow this, it's pretty terrible and it makes me question if I should hate America if such people could even be considered as potential candidates.  I've 100% avoided your election thread for that reason.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 04:31:12 pm »

The fact that a man like Santorum who openly goes around talking about a war on condoms and that higher education is the height of snobbery is being taken even semi-seriously as the leader of the dog-catchers' union, let alone president, is pretty fuck*ng disturbing, yes.

Romney, well, I mean, there's always going to be heartless bland entitled out-of-touch rich guys running for the office of president, not to lead or change things but simply because they think it is the biggest "prize" in America to win, so... I guess I am less shocked by that shit, it is just a general thing that happens in America.

But Santorum, good Lord.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 05:16:35 pm »

I had this discussion with my BFF yesterday. She sort of wishes Santorum had taken the lead in the primaries because he's so laughably unelectable. She thinks Romney's ghost of a chance, however slight, is too big a risk to take because we saw with the G.H.W.B. debacle how ridiculous politics in this country can be.

I said that I wouldn't care even if Romney was a serious threat to the Obama presidency. The very fact that the republican party would even attempt to run Santorum for president would say Very Bad Things about our country. I'd rather choose between good and bad than between good and evil.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 06:29:20 pm »

Somewhere on FB I saw a friend of a friend rooting for Santorum. Not because he likes Santorum, but because he hated who he calls "ObRomney." Because Romney is clearly just like Obama?
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 07:33:28 pm »

Because Romney is clearly just like Obama?

And that's what the Republican party has done to itself by pandering to the crazies. They have an extreme base that will not be satisfied with anyone who is less than completely insane. Any candidate who pleases that base is unelectable among the general population.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Pincher or Poker?
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 08:07:40 pm »

Any candidate who pleases that base is unelectable among the general population.

We hope this is true.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up