Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Davy Jones - Exit stage left  (Read 2604 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Davy Jones - Exit stage left
« on: March 01, 2012, 04:46:48 am »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/29/showbiz/obit-davy-jones/index.html

I liked him, mostly because he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Davy Jones - Exit stage left
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:56:27 pm »

Was never a Monkees kind of guy. I feel bad when people shuffle off this mortal coil and all, but I was pretty surprised by the outpouring on this one.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Davy Jones - Exit stage left
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:41:11 pm »

Marsha Brady must be inconsolable.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Davy Jones - Exit stage left
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:00:41 pm »

I used to watch Monkees reruns on TV when I was a kid. I liked them a lot.

Not as much as the girl I knew in college who had their logo tattooed in red on her forearm, though. It was her only ink; apparently they had to go over it three times to get the color right. She was a nutball about Davy. I bet she's a wreck today.

R.I.P., Mr. Jones. You made a Daydream Believer out of me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Davy Jones - Exit stage left
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:03:38 pm »

It's always sad when someone dies, but two days of Monkees earworms is sad too.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Davy Jones - Exit stage left
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:04:46 pm »

why is it that everybody who's commented on this so far talks about marcia brady? what about jan? it's always marcia, marcia, marcia
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Davy Jones - Exit stage left
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 03:21:15 pm »

Like JL I watch the Monkees reruns and liked them a lot.  I'm not really feeling an sentimentality over this one though.  It's okay to hear "Daydream Believer" again, but once or twice is enough.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Davy Jones - Exit stage left
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 04:48:38 pm »

Although I was the perfect age to watch the Monkees television show when it originally aired I only have vague recollections of ever doing so.  I watched them as reruns in the 80s.  It was alright.  I loved the music growing up.  Still do, but I'm gonna love any well crafted, Beatles inspired pop music, of course.

I have an internet friend who is gaga for Davy and I know she's in serious mourning right now.

I have another friend that posted a photo of the back pocket of her jeans she had Davy sign back in the 90s.  She told him to write "I got your pleasant valley."  Ha ha...



Goodbye Mr. Jones.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Davy Jones - Exit stage left
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 06:27:43 pm »

My first concert was The Monkees (sans Mike) at Wolftrap in the 90s. I'd make a 7A reference, but Jough beat me to it
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Davy Jones - Exit stage left
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 06:31:41 pm »

why is it that everybody who's commented on this so far talks about marcia brady? what about jan? it's always marcia, marcia, marcia

Sam the Butcher just left you a can.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Davy Jones - Exit stage left
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 06:29:14 am »

In honor of Davy Jones passing I wrote an article about the Monkee Mobile artcar for Artcar Nation.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up