Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Poll

A Mixtape Todd Found on a Dumpster and Decided to Hang Onto [Rate this Mixdisc]

1 stars
- 0 (0%)
2 stars
- 0 (0%)
3 stars
- 3 (50%)
4 stars
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 09, 2004, 06:55:13 pm


Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Frickin' Awesome  (Read 9052 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2004, 06:59:40 pm »

I went looking for more info on The Detroit Cobras because I love those two songs of theirs you included in your mix and I wanted to know what the hell she was singing Hey Say low ne oh or some such.  I came across this quote.

Quote from: "Dan Kilian- Pitchfork Reviewer"
This CD doesn't get played again unless I find a mix tape segue that's crying for "Hey Sailor" or whatever it's called. There are lots of snakes out there; this one doesn't have enough venom.

full article here

Kinda funny, but it does beg, er raise the question: Would you agree with this statement or is the rest of their album as killer as the two songs i've heard?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2004, 07:37:13 pm »

Regarding the Detroit Cobras: They definitely front-loaded the album with that one-two punch, I can't lie about that.  The rest of the record is slower-paced, but still continues in that vein.  If you like the idea of a DNA splice between the Crystals and 1965 Stones, you'll like it.  

However, that Pitchfork reviewer definitely woke up on the wrong side of the bitter indie fuck sofa.  I take their reviews with basketball-sized grains of salt ( I'm no fan of Liz Phair's, but her new album gets a 0.0?  I think the only album that deserves a 0.0 is a blank CD ).
Logged

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2004, 07:54:16 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
However, that Pitchfork reviewer definitely woke up on the wrong side of the bitter indie fuck sofa.


It must be some sort of rule: if you write for Pitchfork and you do not like something, you must hate it, because hate makes for lively and sassy reviews. It takes a very special sort of fuck*ng asshole to call one of my favorite bands "the most calculated and possibly least interesting female-fronted shoegaze pop band to emerge in the late-80s/early-90s".

(Full disclosure: I did enjoy their full-bore disemboweling of Andrew W.K., because it was long fuck*ng overdue. Don't get me started.)

EDIT: THAT LIZ PHAIR ALBUM WAS PRETTY DAMNED BAD, THOUGH; PHEW-WEE
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2004, 08:05:31 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
However, that Pitchfork reviewer definitely woke up on the wrong side of the bitter indie fuck sofa.  I take their reviews with basketball-sized grains of salt ( I'm no fan of Liz Phair's, but her new album gets a 0.0?  I think the only albums that deserves a 0.0 is a blank CD ).


Yeah Pitchfork can be too pretentious for it's own good sometimes, but they can be pretty damn funny when they go on a rant.  Their Andrew WK review for example is hilarious.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2004, 08:08:23 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
(Full disclosure: I did enjoy their full-bore disemboweling of Andrew W.K., because it was long fuck*ng overdue. Don't get me started.)


Damn you beat me to it because I accidentally deleted my post before I posted it.

BTW, who is the shoegaze band you like that Pitchfork trashed?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2004, 08:14:55 pm »

Man I can't believe they took it that seriously.
'Is this the future of...' FUCK NO! It's not any fuck*ng future, it's just a load of trite gobshite. Ignore it, and it'll go the fuck away!
Oh look, he ammended it saying he ignored it and it went the fuck away! See!?
Jesus. Don't encourage people!

I'm in such a Bill Hicks mood now.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

St_Zartan

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 928
    • View Profile
    • http://zer-un.199x.net
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2004, 08:17:24 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
BTW, who is the shoegaze band you like that Pitchfork trashed?


Lush. The band most people remember for "Ladykillers", which was an excellent Britpop song and all, granted, only Britpop wasn't actually what they did; their older stuff (Spooky, Split) is literally beautiful music, the sort of songs that might go through your head when waking up in the throes of a high fever to find yourself at the bottom of a very deep well, surrounded by tiny frogs, dead leaves, and glittering coins. "Lovelife" is probably my second favorite song of all time - I can and sometimes do put that single track on repeat and just bliss out for hours.

"Oh, no," said some woman I was talking to, "you're one of those 4AD kids, aren't you?" I guess I am.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2004, 08:39:58 pm »

Quote from: "St_Zartan"
EDIT: THAT LIZ PHAIR ALBUM WAS PRETTY DAMNED BAD, THOUGH; PHEW-WEE


Liz Phair would be OK if she knew how to sing or write memorable songs.  But I remember someone summing up the appeal of Exile in Guyville by saying "She could be my blowjob queen anytime!"  I found myself thinking what if she was a 300 pound lesbian covered with stringy warts?  Would you still subject yourself to that album if that were the case?

My point is: bad as the new L.P. LP might be, you only give something a 0.0 if you have a deep personal grievance with someone, because no album is that bad. A grievance along the lines of how dare you offer yourself up to the TRL crowd, you're supposed to be my indie wank-fantasy forever.  Or something.

THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MY MIX CD
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2004, 08:44:50 pm »

I kind of like Liz Phair.  I mean, sure, she's a cutsie pop queen, but compared to Britney Spears, she's frikkin Elvira.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2004, 08:48:27 pm »

I'd rather Bone Britney Spears than Elvira. Bodacious TaTas notwithstanding.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2004, 09:52:58 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
Man I can't believe they took it that seriously.


They only took it seriously because a lot of people with allegedly good taste like Side Show's Husband thought it was good enough to pay their hard earned money for.  It wasn't a record review as much as an intervention.  A lot of people needed serious help and reading that review was the first step down the long road to recovery for many.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2004, 09:59:55 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
EDIT: THAT LIZ PHAIR ALBUM WAS PRETTY DAMNED BAD, THOUGH; PHEW-WEE


Liz Phair would be OK if she knew how to sing or write memorable songs.  But I remember someone summing up the appeal of Exile in Guyville by saying "She could be my blowjob queen anytime!"  I found myself thinking what if she was a 300 pound lesbian covered with stringy warts?  Would you still subject yourself to that album if that were the case?

My point is: bad as the new L.P. LP might be, you only give something a 0.0 if you have a deep personal grievance with someone, because no album is that bad. A grievance along the lines of how dare you offer yourself up to the TRL crowd, you're supposed to be my indie wank-fantasy forever.  Or something.

THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MY MIX CD


I think Liz Phair's latest is not nearly as bad as Pitchfork (and everybody else actually) thinks in direct proportion to Exile in Guyville is not nearly as good as (insert indy publication here) thought at the time.  In other words, she hasn't fallen as far as they think because she was never that good.  I never got her frankly, but now i'm kinda pulling for her because she's become such an outcast in the indy press.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2004, 10:32:03 pm »

Actually, I haven't heard her latest album, so who knows?  

JLD: Always 5 years behind the times.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2004, 03:07:33 am »

The Posies really wear their Big Star influence on their sleeve.  Well at least on Song 1 for sure.  I wonder if they've called it Song 1 because it sounds exactly like Number 1 Record era Big Star?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2004, 05:16:00 am »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
The Posies really wear their Big Star influence on their sleeve.  Well at least on Song 1 for sure.  I wonder if they've called it Song 1 because it sounds exactly like Number 1 Record era Big Star?

~Paul


Alex Chilton asked the two main Posies to help him reform Big Star, so they can get away with it.  

It's track nine or ten on Amazing Disgrace, so maybe you're right.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up