Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Poll

A Mixtape Todd Found on a Dumpster and Decided to Hang Onto [Rate this Mixdisc]

1 stars
- 0 (0%)
2 stars
- 0 (0%)
3 stars
- 3 (50%)
4 stars
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: January 09, 2004, 06:55:13 pm


Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Frickin' Awesome  (Read 9026 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2004, 05:31:16 am »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Alex Chilton asked the two main Posies to help him reform Big Star, so they can get away with it.


Oh yeah, I knew that, but forgot.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2004, 08:52:35 pm »

Gah... Liz Phair...   I find her fairly repulsive, and her music terrible.
On the contrary, anything to do with Big Star makes me irrationally happy (except for the bad, bad, Cheap Trick cover as the theme to That 70s Show...), ergo, I shall have to look into these Posies, which I have been meaning to do for some time...
Logged
goose means greedy

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2004, 09:52:48 pm »

I think Liz Phair is HELLA sexy, and her first album is really good (although I thought the whole "blow job queen" aspect of her lyrics were more cheesy than sexy).

But her song "Dance of the Seven Veils" almost made my mix disc - it's that great!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2004, 12:47:55 am »

I'm not sure I could stand Liz Phair at album length, but I have MP3s of "Polyester Bride" and "Shatter," and I don't hate them. The guitar solo that starts "Shatter" is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2004, 05:18:06 pm »

I had no idea she had more than one album. I'd only ever heard Polyester Bride on the radio. If it were for this thread and her current TiVo feature I would've had no idea she was more than a one-hit-wonder.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2004, 07:52:31 pm »

Oh, god, if you only know Liz Phair from her latest (fourth) album, which is horrible, you need to go out and buy "Exile in Guyville" and "Whipsmart" like, NOW.

Even "Whitechocolatespaceegg" was interesting if not good.

conure

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2004, 01:29:05 pm »

New poll: Bone, Bone, Bone, like six times a day!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2004, 05:14:24 am »

Iggy Pop and James Williamson, Consolation Prizes.  That's a great song, what's it from?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2004, 11:14:09 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"
Iggy Pop and James Williamson, Consolation Prizes.  That's a great song, what's it from?

~Paul


Hey Limmo are you gonna help me out or do I have to look this shit up myself?

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2004, 12:10:34 am »

Calm your dick, Paul, I just got back from a fuckin' memorial service.

Consolation Prizes.  Heh.  The version on the mix CD is from a three-song CD single called Jesus Loves the Stooges.It's got "Prizes,""Johanna" and the title track, which sucks.   However, the other two songs were so good that I went out afterwards and got the album they're from, Kill City.
Well.  Not only does Kill City suck, but the versions on the single are better than the album versions.

If you want either of the other two tracks, let me know.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2004, 09:01:43 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"
Calm your dick, Paul, I just got back from a fuckin' memorial service.

Geez, how was I supposed to know.  Sorry for your loss, man.

Quote from: "Limmo"
If you want either of the other two tracks, let me know.

I will and Thank You.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2004, 10:27:59 pm »

Quote from: "pmcd9"

Geez, how was I supposed to know.  Sorry for your loss, man.
~Paul


You weren't.  I was just in a bad mood, and I shouldn't have included that information in my post.  Once again, Jim lashes out for the sake of melodrama.  

Sometimes I'm just a dick.  OK, most of the time.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2004, 10:57:06 pm »

Quote from: "Limmo"

Sometimes I'm just a dick.  OK, most of the time.


I wasn't going to say anything.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2004, 10:59:12 pm »

Did someone just say something? Someone who still hasn't sent me a CD?

I didn't think so.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Frickin' Awesome
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2004, 07:04:24 pm »

Al Green's 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' fills me with joy.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up