Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Dog Has No Nose.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black, Green and all Points in between...  (Read 4677 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Black, Green and all Points in between...
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »

yeah, I think it is definitely that I am buying some weak-ass tea. I left the teabag in for 5 minutes at a coffee place the other day and basically had to throw the tea out because it was so gross.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Black, Green and all Points in between...
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 06:32:14 pm »

Sugar in tea doesn't make you an infidel!

Some teas are totally meant for that.   It's not like you're saying you put flavored non-dairy creamer in your tea!

(Don't... I ran out of soymilk at work, and tried to use one of those things... so afwul)
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Black, Green and all Points in between...
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 01:38:12 am »

Steep times vary a lot.  Bagged tea takes much longer as far as I'm concerned, but not always because of quality - in a bag everything is compacted and doesn't have as much space to expand so it takes longer for the leaves to saturate.  Swishing it around or dunking it helps speed things up.

Loose Black teas: 3-5 mins  (in my experience assams need a lot less time than other variates, being so small)
Loose Greens: 5+ mins
Loose Oolong: 3-5 mins, but only after a first flush to open the leaves
Loose Herbal: 8 mins

Bagged black teas: 7-15 mins
Bagged Green tea: 15 min plus
Bagged  Oolong:  I have no idea - the whole point of Oolong as far as I'm concerned is to allow the whole leaves to unfurl fully for best flavour, which is impossible in a bag
Bagged Herbals:  I just leave the bag in the whole time until it's all be drunk.  Especially for chai, which in my opinion is best was pungently strong.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Black, Green and all Points in between...
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 05:56:15 am »

Dave Byrne is down with some sugar in his tea.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Black, Green and all Points in between...
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 12:08:47 pm »

What is the deal with those Assams that are in teensy tinsy pieces? I used to drink one that came in normal sized leaves and then I ordered a sampler from Upton of several kinds and they were all tiny and I didn't like any of them. And then Nabu gave me one for Secret Santa that is really good and it's normal sized leaves, and that is the one I order now.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Black, Green and all Points in between...
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 01:05:33 pm »

Whiskey in your water, sugar in your tea?  What's all these crazy questions you're asking me?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Black, Green and all Points in between...
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 04:57:43 pm »

Dave Byrne is down with some sugar in his tea.

Just put it right there on his tongue.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Black, Green and all Points in between...
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 09:05:08 pm »

What is the deal with those Assams that are in teensy tinsy pieces? I used to drink one that came in normal sized leaves and then I ordered a sampler from Upton of several kinds and they were all tiny and I didn't like any of them. And then Nabu gave me one for Secret Santa that is really good and it's normal sized leaves, and that is the one I order now.

I onced watched a lady process tea, and it involved gently rolling the undried leaves around by hand on a rounded surface under her open palm and fingers until they turned into tiny balls.  I've heard of some tea being called pearls, but I'm not sure if that's what these little Assam bits are, as the ones I've seen labelled specifically as pearls are typically larger than the little assam bits you mention.  If I look at the assam I drink both before rehydrating and after, they don't appear to be balls of leaves (which would unfurl when hydrated), but semi-solid bits that expand, but don't change shape when used.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Black, Green and all Points in between...
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 03:55:56 pm »

Just put it right there on his tongue.

You know you deserve a can but I can't give you one.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Black, Green and all Points in between...
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 05:36:58 pm »

how long do you steep your tea? The internet says around 5 minutes, but that makes my tea taste like leaf-water instead of TEA. I normally put it in my travel mug and leave the bag in on the drive to work, ~15 minutes. Maybe this is because I have crappy tea.

The cool asian market near my house has the loose-leaf version of the tea I like, so maybe I'll try that one day soon.

Check out the instructions on the box of tea I just bought at the K-roger:

Bring fresh cold water to a rolling boil.  Let  water cool 5 to 7 minutes after boiling.  Pour water over one tea bag and steep 1 to 2 minutes.

You know, if I wanted lukewarm tap water I could get it from the kitchen sink.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Black, Green and all Points in between...
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 07:49:36 pm »

"this Frisbee is not a floatation device."

"fried pork skins do not prevent STIs."

"look, fucker, we are not responsible if you try to cook a hot dog with this taser."
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up