Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Poll

Whether you read them when bigger or small, which is the bestest Seuss book of them all? Vote for one or vote for many -- and if you're a Grinch, just don't vote for any!

The Cat in the Hat/The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
- 3 (5.5%)
Dr. Seuss's ABC
- 1 (1.8%)
Fox in Socks
- 2 (3.6%)
Green Eggs and Ham
- 6 (10.9%)
Hop on Pop
- 2 (3.6%)
I Am Not Going To Get Up Today!
- 0 (0%)
I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
- 1 (1.8%)
I Wish that I Had Duck Feet
- 2 (3.6%)
Oh the Thinks You Can Think!
- 1 (1.8%)
Oh Say Can You Say?
- 0 (0%)
One giraffe, Two giraffe, Red giraffe, Blue giraffe
- 3 (5.5%)
Ten Apples Up On Top!
- 1 (1.8%)
Wacky Wednesday
- 0 (0%)
Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
- 1 (1.8%)
The Foot Book
- 1 (1.8%)
A Great Day for Up!
- 0 (0%)
Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
- 0 (0%)
In a People House
- 0 (0%)
Mr Brown can Moo! Can You?
- 2 (3.6%)
The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
- 0 (0%)
There's a Wocket in my Pocket
- 0 (0%)
The Tooth Book
- 0 (0%)
Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
- 0 (0%)
The Eye Book
- 1 (1.8%)
The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins
- 0 (0%)
And To Think That I Saw It on Mullberry Street
- 3 (5.5%)
Bartholomew and the Oobleck
- 0 (0%)
The Butter Battle Book
- 0 (0%)
Daisy-Head Mayzie
- 1 (1.8%)
Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?
- 0 (0%)
Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book
- 2 (3.6%)
Gerald McBoing Boing
- 0 (0%)
Horton Hatches the Egg
- 1 (1.8%)
Horton Hears a Who!
- 2 (3.6%)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- 5 (9.1%)
Hunches in Bunches
- 0 (0%)
I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today! and Other Stories
- 0 (0%)
I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew
- 2 (3.6%)
If I Ran the Circus
- 0 (0%)
If I Ran the Zoo
- 1 (1.8%)
The King's Stilts
- 0 (0%)
The Lorax
- 1 (1.8%)
McElligot's Pool
- 1 (1.8%)
Oh, the Places You'll Go!
- 2 (3.6%)
On Beyond Zebra!
- 2 (3.6%)
Scrambled Eggs Super!
- 0 (0%)
The Sneetches and Other Stories
- 2 (3.6%)
Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose
- 0 (0%)
Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories
- 3 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11


Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!  (Read 4367 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:29:42 pm »

It's the Good Doctor's Birthday! Huzzah! Hurray!
It's a wonderful time for all people to say,
"We're glad he was born, and we're glad that he wrote!"
(Although sometimes his tales put a lump in my throat.)

So I'm asking you, people, of all of his rhymes,
Which ones make you wistful for easier times?
Which ones do you read to your daughters and sons?
Which book's the most poignant? Most silly? Most fun?

Please share your Seuss stories, that's why this thread's here!
After all, Seuss Day only comes once a year!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:43:43 pm »

I loved so many of his books as a kid.  I voted for I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew, but could have easily voted for any number of others.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:55:05 pm »

I tried to set it up so you could vote for as many as you wanted, but I don't think you can.

Solla Sollew is actually one I've never read. I loved all the stories in Yertle the Turtle, but my favorite from that collection was The Big Brag. The humor and surprise ending in that story is just perfect. I also loved the sillier books, like On Beyond Zebra and Oh Say Can You Say (which I recently purchased for my own kids, and I can still do most of the tongue twisters from memory).

I was never super wild about The Lorax, though I understand that was Seuss's personal favorite. I did like The Sleep Book a lot, and The Butter Battle Book. And, of course, The Grinch was an annual tradition.

Fun Fact: I never read The Cat in the Hat until I was an adult. I loved Seuss, but somehow that one escaped me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:23:30 pm »

These were the only books I ever checked out of the library as a kid. But darned if I have more than vague fuzzy memories about any of them.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:29:47 pm »

I have The Lorax, but in all honesty, that one can suck it. The youngest is all exciti-ma-fated by the ads for the movie and I'm all awww, crackers about it.

The Lorax has grown on me. I think we'll rent it when it comes out on DVD. If they do as good a job with it as they did on Horton, it'll be pretty cool.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 05:45:50 pm »

I have vague memories of wearing "The Pale Green ##### (with Nobody Inside Them)" as a Halloween costume one year.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:12:36 pm »

I loved Dr. Seuss growning up, but then had to live through so much horriblness when it came to Seussical the Musical (which was produced at the children's theatre I used to work at). 

It's been too many years since I've read a Seuss book.  I have Green Eggs and Ham at home and I try to watch the cartoon version of the Grinch every year if I can.

Did anyone else have that special program where you got a Seuss book in the mail every month, and a special Cat in the Hat holder to put them all in?  That was pretty rad.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:02:29 pm »

The only ones that really stick in my mind are Green Eggs and Ham and One giraffe Two giraffe...  which the filter makes so much more fun that I wanted to vote for it, but on general principle I had to vote for If I Ran The Zoo, of course. Which I didn't read till I was a grownup.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:44 pm »

We are big fans of the good doctor at our house. The vote was a very difficult pick between One giraffe Two giraffe and Fox in Socks, but seeing as I made my favorite line from the former my FB status for the day, I voted for that. "If I Ran the Zoo" is also a favorite.

When I turn off my younger daughter's light at bedtime I often say, "And so, good night. It is time to sleep. So we will sleep with our pet zeep."

Also, what about when beetles fight these battles with their paddles in a puddle in a bottle and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:29:17 pm »

I tried to set it up so you could vote for as many as you wanted, but I don't think you can.


Fixed!

So many favorites.  Green Eggs and Ham and Hop on Pop were the first books I ever read.  The Cat in the Hat, Thing 1 and Thing 2.  Horton.  The daggone Grinch.


Thank you, Dr. Seuss.  
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 07:59:57 pm »

I voted for all the ones I've read, because I liked them all.  Even the Lorax.  I am surprised to see how little of his ouvre I've actually read.  Maybe with kid #2 I'll get to more of them.  Kid #1 just wants me to read "Dear American Girl" advice column stuff these days.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:04:27 pm »

The only ones that really stick in my mind are Green Eggs and Ham and One giraffe Two giraffe...  which the filter makes so much more fun that I wanted to vote for it, but on general principle I had to vote for If I Ran The Zoo, of course. Which I didn't read till I was a grownup.

I have the big treasury of stories with biographical notes, and apparently If I Ran the Zoo was inspired by Seuss's father, who was actually a zookeeper. When Ted was a teen and young adult, Giesel Senior would bring home antlers and such from work, and Ted would use them to create faux-taxidermy sculptures of his fantastic creatures.

Also: Took the kids to the bookstore today and let them each choose a Seuss book. Danger Boy wanted I Can Read with my Eyes Shut in Spanish. Chaos Girl was more interested in puppets so I just got The Lorax. Tonight, we're going to a Read Across America event with a Seussian theme at a local children's museum. This might be my new favorite made-up holiday.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 08:08:56 pm by jay-ell »
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 08:19:12 pm »

This might be my new favorite made-up holiday.
I'd certainly rather spend money on this rather than Valentine's day. 

The Red Hot Chili Peppers did a nice interpretation of Yertle the Turtle.  College dayz flashback.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 09:29:03 pm »

Today is also the birthday of Texas.  Just sayin'...
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 09:29:55 pm »

I have the big treasury of stories with biographical notes, and apparently If I Ran the Zoo was inspired by Seuss's father, who was actually a zookeeper. When Ted was a teen and young adult, Giesel Senior would bring home antlers and such from work, and Ted would use them to create faux-taxidermy sculptures of his fantastic creatures.

That is pretty freaking awesome.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up