Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Ray Smuckles pours one out for Tiger's '09 Escalade. "Shit didn't have to be that way, Tiger. You coulda' taken the damn Buick."

Poll

Whether you read them when bigger or small, which is the bestest Seuss book of them all? Vote for one or vote for many -- and if you're a Grinch, just don't vote for any!

The Cat in the Hat/The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
- 3 (5.5%)
Dr. Seuss's ABC
- 1 (1.8%)
Fox in Socks
- 2 (3.6%)
Green Eggs and Ham
- 6 (10.9%)
Hop on Pop
- 2 (3.6%)
I Am Not Going To Get Up Today!
- 0 (0%)
I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
- 1 (1.8%)
I Wish that I Had Duck Feet
- 2 (3.6%)
Oh the Thinks You Can Think!
- 1 (1.8%)
Oh Say Can You Say?
- 0 (0%)
One giraffe, Two giraffe, Red giraffe, Blue giraffe
- 3 (5.5%)
Ten Apples Up On Top!
- 1 (1.8%)
Wacky Wednesday
- 0 (0%)
Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
- 1 (1.8%)
The Foot Book
- 1 (1.8%)
A Great Day for Up!
- 0 (0%)
Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
- 0 (0%)
In a People House
- 0 (0%)
Mr Brown can Moo! Can You?
- 2 (3.6%)
The Shape of Me and Other Stuff
- 0 (0%)
There's a Wocket in my Pocket
- 0 (0%)
The Tooth Book
- 0 (0%)
Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
- 0 (0%)
The Eye Book
- 1 (1.8%)
The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins
- 0 (0%)
And To Think That I Saw It on Mullberry Street
- 3 (5.5%)
Bartholomew and the Oobleck
- 0 (0%)
The Butter Battle Book
- 0 (0%)
Daisy-Head Mayzie
- 1 (1.8%)
Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?
- 0 (0%)
Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book
- 2 (3.6%)
Gerald McBoing Boing
- 0 (0%)
Horton Hatches the Egg
- 1 (1.8%)
Horton Hears a Who!
- 2 (3.6%)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- 5 (9.1%)
Hunches in Bunches
- 0 (0%)
I Can Lick 30 Tigers Today! and Other Stories
- 0 (0%)
I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew
- 2 (3.6%)
If I Ran the Circus
- 0 (0%)
If I Ran the Zoo
- 1 (1.8%)
The King's Stilts
- 0 (0%)
The Lorax
- 1 (1.8%)
McElligot's Pool
- 1 (1.8%)
Oh, the Places You'll Go!
- 2 (3.6%)
On Beyond Zebra!
- 2 (3.6%)
Scrambled Eggs Super!
- 0 (0%)
The Sneetches and Other Stories
- 2 (3.6%)
Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose
- 0 (0%)
Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories
- 3 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11


Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!  (Read 4370 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 05:14:10 pm »

I read some of these and voted for the ones I liked. For some reason, I have a memory that slides back and forth that he wrote Are You My Mother, which I love like crazy, but he didn't.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »

I read some of these and voted for the ones I liked. For some reason, I have a memory that slides back and forth that he wrote Are You My Mother, which I love like crazy, but he didn't.

My favorite Seuss book that he didn't write is Go Dog Go.  I really love Put me in the Zoo also.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 06:02:58 pm »

Yeah, there's a whole slew of books by P.D. Eastman that are of the same type and bear a similar illustration style. Geisel and Eastman were actually pals, they worked on the Private Snafu animated shorts for the War Department during WWII.

That's also where Geisel met Chuck Jones and Friz Freeling, who were responsible for getting The Grinch and some of his other stories animated and televised in the 1960s. Really fascinating stuff.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 08:03:40 pm »

Eastman's birthday is in November. It should be A Thing.

I have a complicated relationship with the Berenstains. I loved their books as a kid; as a parent, I find them stifling and a little too reductive in their morality. But, I have huge respect to the authors (RIP, Jan Berenstain), and almost anything else can be forgiven because the Berenstains brought us the beautifully haunting tale of The Spooky Old Tree.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 03:59:32 am »

Question, is Robert Munsch much of a thing in the US, or is he mostly a Canadian thing? 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 04:50:36 am »

Question, is Robert Munsch much of a thing in the US, or is he mostly a Canadian thing? 

Who?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 03:08:16 pm »

I had to google him. We have exactly one of his books, "Love You Forever," which I understand is Canadia's weepy-eyed sentimental version of "The Giving Tree." I'd say he's mostly a Canadian thing.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 11:22:10 pm »

That's really interesting.  I'd say Munsch was a bigger part of my childhood than Seuss.  Love you Forever is probably owned by every parent I know and read to almost every child.  It's been on the local kid's best seller's list for years.  The Paper Bag Princess is also a mega classic here.  I sort of thought he was a Canadian thing, yet he's an American.  Interesting that he's super well known here.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 11:00:07 pm »

Yeah, that Eastman dude needs a day as well. Go Dog Go and Are you My Mother? are championship level stuff.

The Berenstain Bears I am on the fence about.

Somewhere around here I posted to a link to their 'parent's book' from the 50s or 60s. Fun shit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up