Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Poll

Should we start a thread for each Portland Mercury Article, or just have one general thread to discuss all the articles?

single threads for each Portland Mercury article.
one general thread for discussion of all Portland Mercury reviews.
neither: fuck that guy, I want more Achewood!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portland Mercury Articles: Single Threads or One Thread for General Discussion  (Read 4230 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

He's made the transition from great comic artist to mediocre writer.  It's pretty sad really. 

This comment sums it up pretty well for me.

"The only mood and scene that Onstad has captured is one of two aging hipsters, stuffed with too many readings of On the Road, Fear and Loathing, and the alcohol-fueled ravings of Tom Robbins.

Mextiza sounds pretty good, I think. I don't know too much about the atmosphere, though, because Onstad was too busy waxing poetic on his fat friends mustache. "
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

I ate at that Tambayan (sp?) place and I gotta figure that his friend has an in, because it was not good. And not not good in a weird food way, not good in a boiled chicken in thin broth way.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortesDiddy

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 26
    • View Profile

Every review has a couple of great descriptive phrases of the food I like, but then can sometimes go in a direction I don't necessarily think adds to the piece. But since it's Onstad I have that bias of liking these reviews overall. Had I read this with no knowledge of his stuff, I would probably think less of the whole thing.

Here's an example of great food writing imo (from the Mi Mero Mole review):

Quote
The foundation of the menu are the large, fresh, hand-made corn tortillas, formed and griddled at the counter. They puff expertly on the hot iron before deflating into a firm, golden flatbread of ancient heft, chew, and straightforward grain flavor. Supermarket tortillas would tear to heartbreaking ribbons in the face of these wet contents; Zukin's hold their shape impressively for the duration.

That's good stuff.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

Quote
@achewood Home again. Next assignment: Belgium, Netherlands, late April, for Saveur. Stay tuned!

OK, I guess you can't blame a guy for not producing comics when he's got a gig like this. And God knows I am in no position to throw stones at someone for changing careers.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile

He wants to see if he can get mayonnaise on his McDonald's fries like they talk about in Pulp Fiction.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

They are fuck*ng with him in the letters section. I'll have to post some shit when I get home.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up