Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that someone should really go fix up the Achewood Wiki, the Achewiki, which could serve as a knowledge base for all things Achewood?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)  (Read 5858 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 02:24:18 pm »

I'm pretty bad about this stuff, but I've gotten better in the past couple of years.

Books are my downfall.  I still have most of my college textbooks.  I'm more prone to the "usefulness" thing -- I hesitate to get rid of anything that could come in handy in the future.  This has resulted in rooms full of potentially but highly unlikely to be useful in the future stuff filling my house.

Anybody else watch American Pickers.  Those junk collectors are a closely related species.  Some of these guys (because it's almost invariably men who do this) make me wonder where they get the money to indulge their collecting.  The ones that have building after building after building FILLED with stuff.  How do they even afford the all those buildings?  Sure, it takes them decades to amass that much, but the sheer volume of stuff they collect can be staggering.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 02:52:01 pm »

Anybody else watch American Pickers.  Those junk collectors are a closely related species.  Some of these guys (because it's almost invariably men who do this) make me wonder where they get the money to indulge their collecting.  The ones that have building after building after building FILLED with stuff.  How do they even afford the all those buildings?  Sure, it takes them decades to amass that much, but the sheer volume of stuff they collect can be staggering.

Yeah, junk picking is the manly word for hoarding. My dad's fellow teachers at his former school called him "The Junkyard King" because he'd take anything off anybody if it was free. I still have a desk he rescued from the landfill in 1966 and a solid pine bookcase that was going to be thrown out because a couple of the shelves were warped. (Go to the lumberyard and buy new shelves, mother bitches.) Once he brought home three boxes of white 8.5x11 printer paper because it was labeled "too old to be used in copier." What the what?

But yeah, he has more salvaged parts and building materials than he will ever use. They're renovating what will probably be their last house, and Dad whipped out some light switch cover plates that they removed from thir first house, which was old when they renovated it back in '65. (Pressed tin, these things are seriously vintage.) He's got a 4-car garage brimming with tools and equipment, coffee cans full of nails, screws, and bolts, old light fixtures, leaky hoses he hasn't got round to fixing, and perfectly good faucet assemblies that didn't suit my mother's sense of aesthetics. I know that's nothing compared to some of these guys, but the fact that he's actually used the majority of what he's collected is mind-boggling when you see what's left.

I can get rid of stuff if I feel like it's going someplace where it will be used and enjoyed. I have a hard time just throwing things away, though. The thought of it rotting in a landfill when there's someone out there that might have benefited from it saddens me. I just gave away a huge desk to a young couple setting up their first apartment together, and I donated four 14-gallon plastic bins' worth of Little People toys to my kids' speech therapist's practice last month, which she has thanked me for about six times. That's the best cure for my kind of hoarding -- realizing that anything that's potentially useful to me in the future is probably also useful to someone else right now.

On the other hand, I did just put a bunch of kitchen stuff in my attic to save for my BFF when she moves out of her parents' house next year. Her ex is keeping all their pots and pans, and since Mom just bought me a new set (for no discernible reason) I thought she might like my old ones. She said she'd love to have them if I didn't mind storing them for her until she's ready, and since I do have the space, I agreed. But technically, I still have them, so although they're dealt with, they're not really gone.

The people that freak me out the most are the animal hoarders. Those homes are the worst, and the eventual fate of the poor cats (it's almost always cats) is horrible.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09:48 pm »

Books are my downfall.  I still have most of my college textbooks.  I'm more prone to the "usefulness" thing -- I hesitate to get rid of anything that could come in handy in the future.

I was just thinking about my college textbooks yesterday.  The "usefulness thing" as you put it is a big factor for me, but even though they are only a couple of years old, these textbooks are mostly outdated technology already.

I should liquify them.  And by liquify, I of course mean, set them on fire.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 07:54:39 pm »

I was just thinking about my college textbooks yesterday.  The "usefulness thing" as you put it is a big factor for me, but even though they are only a couple of years old, these textbooks are mostly outdated technology already.

I should liquify them.  And by liquify, I of course mean, set them on fire.

You got it right the first time.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 03:45:12 am »

My history and philosophy textbooks are still good.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 04:11:36 am »

Oh yeah, I'm not going to throw away the history books.  I've also got a very interesting geology book from 30 years ago.  They may know more now, but the stuff they knew then is still valid. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 04:21:52 pm »

I have almost all my old textbooks. Of course, they're mainly not textbooks in the traditional sense; they are regular books about history that I read for class. And I was nearly an English major, so I have a large collection of lit books and style guides that are still useful. (My MLA and AP style guides are a little out of date, but mainly still good if I cross-reference with the web to see what's changed recently.) I sold back the math and science books, though, because they were practically out of date before I even bought them.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 04:43:16 pm »

I have almost all my old textbooks. Of course, they're mainly not textbooks in the traditional sense; they are regular books about history that I read for class. And I was nearly an English major, so I have a large collection of lit books and style guides that are still useful. (My MLA and AP style guides are a little out of date, but mainly still good if I cross-reference with the web to see what's changed recently.) I sold back the math and science books, though, because they were practically out of date before I even bought them.

Wait, how does a math book go out of date? Was it full of instructions on how to program your UNIVAC to solve differential equations? Were the word problems all racist, sexist, and/or homophobic? Did the numbers only go up to eight?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »

I mean the science books were out of date; the math books are just irrelevant to my life. But I was completely unclear about that. Apparently I need to go back and read Strunk & White again -- which, of course, I still have from college.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 08:04:24 pm »

I mean the science books were out of date; the math books are just irrelevant to my life. But I was completely unclear about that. Apparently I need to go back and read Strunk & White again -- which, of course, I still have from college.

don't make me come down there and post Geoff Pullum on Strunk and White. We talked about this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 08:14:24 pm »

I know! I was only invoking Elements for comedic effect, I swear!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2012, 08:45:17 pm »

ah, I still have a lot of my college books because I never did learn what was in them. It is a library of shame.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 03:05:23 am »

don't make me come down there and post Geoff Pullum on Strunk and White. We talked about this.

I almost posted nearly the same thing. Except "fuck" and its various derivations were more centrally involved.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 17th November 2009 - Are you a hoarder? (Time Magazine)
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 11:59:51 am »

I'm sorry I beat you to it, then.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up