Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You..Are..Rad

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Runners (Advice?)  (Read 29730 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Runners (Advice?)
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:19:25 pm »

So, I'm running now or something. Walking briskly, with brief bursts of speed. Apparently I'm doing it wrong.

I went with Pedro this morning and he was surprised at how fast I was going, when I was going. I basically speedwalk for about 5 - 8 minutes, then put on a burst and run at (what he calls) "top speed" for 45 seconds to a minute, then continue speedwalking for another 5 or so. I keep the pace up between sprints to keep the cardio going, but apparently it is weird that my only two speeds are "brisk" and "roadrunner." He jogs most of the way, and we both average out to about a 15 minute mile. He says I run three times as fast but only sustain it a quarter as long, and my walking speed is almost as fast as his jogging speed.

I am not having too much trouble with getting overly winded, but my legs are so sore that it's keeping me from sprinting for as long as I would otherwise be able to. The shins, mainly. It's definitely muscle tenderness, not joint pain, so I'm hoping I can just work through it until it goes away. We are both eschewing expensive trainers for flat shoes and using the "barefoot runner" technique of running on the balls of the feet and toes, which actually feels much more natural and comfortable to me than wearing trainers and landing on the heel. But it works different muscle groups than walking does and the shin splints are really keeping me from being able to push myself as hard as I'd like.

Pedro thinks it would be easier on my muscles if I ran more slowly for a longer stretch of time. And he's probably right. But I don't get the concept of running slow. I don't know how to moderate my speed at all. How do I get my body to move as if I'm running if I'm not going full tilt? In my mind, it's binary -- you're either running or you're not. How fast do you run? As fast as you can. If you're not going as fast as possible, you're obviously not running.

What do y'all experienced runners think? Should I keep doing it my way and just keep taking ibuprofin? Am I going to cause lasting damage to my body this way? If I need to change the way I run, how do I turn off this instinct to try to break the sound barrier every time I decide to go full on? Anything y'all can share will almost certainly be helpful.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:07:38 pm »

I bet your muscle composition is fast-twitch predominant JL.  I have the same approach to running, and I learned it in the boy scouts.  Apparently American Indians would use this as a way to cover long distances quickly; alternating a run with fast walking (boy scout lore - I have no idea whether this is true).  I'm not a long-distance runner at all, but I've covered 7-10 miles as a means of transportation many times using the technique (I didn't have a car in college).  I believe its better for your joints; jogging combines the pounding of a run with the extended time of a walk.  The worst of both worlds.  In any case, you have instinctively picked a gait that works for you.  Pedro might be (is probably) built differently.
The soreness you are experiencing is surely normal adjustment.  I think repeated, short bouts of exercise is what you need to get through the adaptation period.  Shin splints are no joke though, and you should treat them with ice and ibuprofen. If you don't get past them in a week or so, take some time off the runs and get them settled down.  Short of giving yourself frostbite you can't overdo icing.  Do it even on days you don't run, and more than once a day if you can manage it.
Its worth remembering that you need to be in shape to run - that you don't get in shape by running.  Sedentary folks who suddenly start running miles inevitably get injured.  The best progression is walks, long walks, long walks with periods of jogging/running, decreasing time walking during the workout, full running workout.  Or so I hear. 

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:53 pm »

At the risk of making this TL;DR, I forgot a couple things worth mentioning: 
1) Running on soft surfaces (e.g. a soccer field) is one way to keep the shin splints at bay until you're conditioned.  You can run the perimeter (or hopefullly there's more than one field around) if you want to do distance, or you could do sprints down them (my preference for running training).   
2) When you're doing the dog trot technique, pick a number of steps that you will run or walk for; I usually go 50 to 100.  You'll walk the 50 steps slower than the 50 running strides, but that will give you time to recover for the next bout.  It gets tedious pretty quickly, but after a while you'll understand the timing better and can sort of go automatic.  If you want to listen to something pick music over a podcast.
3) Get dixie cups, fill them with water and freeze them.  That's pretty much a perfect 1 icing session dose.  As the ice melts you tear the cup away.  Keeps your fingers from freezing too.

I'm sure I'll think of more. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:36:34 pm »

Ah, good to know I am not a freak. Or at least that I'm not the only one.

The soreness you are experiencing is surely normal adjustment.  I think repeated, short bouts of exercise is what you need to get through the adaptation period.  Shin splints are no joke though, and you should treat them with ice and ibuprofen. If you don't get past them in a week or so, take some time off the runs and get them settled down.  Short of giving yourself frostbite you can't overdo icing.  Do it even on days you don't run, and more than once a day if you can manage it.

Pedro came home from work with similar information re: shin splints. I did ice them down this morning, and he suggested I do strength training exercises for a few weeks to get my calves beefed up (ha ha ha).


Quote
Its worth remembering that you need to be in shape to run - that you don't get in shape by running.  Sedentary folks who suddenly start running miles inevitably get injured.  The best progression is walks, long walks, long walks with periods of jogging/running, decreasing time walking during the workout, full running workout.  Or so I hear. 

I like to think I wasn't completely sedentary before -- I do walk regularly, not super long distances but half a mile here, half a mile there. I live in a neighborhood such that I can walk to Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, the grocery store, my mom's house, etc., and whenever I have the option (e.g. it's not pouring down rain, I don't have the kids with me, I'm not in a super big hurry) I generally don't drive anyplace I can walk. But on the other hand, I wouldn't call myself "in shape" to begin with, either -- so this is good advice. I should probably stress out less about running more minutes and worry more about making sure I don't injure myself so badly I have to give it up entirely.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:53:50 pm »

Get a jump rope (a real one) to train your shins out of the splints.

That, sir, is a fine idea. Need to teach my kids to jump rope anyway. Danger Boy can manage it but slowly; Chaos Girl doesn't really get the concept. Neither of them has double dutched yet, I was not an athlete in grade school but I was wicked good at double dutch 'cause it's all rhythm.

We also have a 14' trampoline in the backyard. Some time on there would probably help.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:07:53 am »

That works out because the most I have at this point in my life is 30 minutes 3x/week. I'm a busy lady.

I don't know how this is going to play out when the girl is out of school for the summer and it's too hot by 6 AM to go outside without fainting, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it I suppose.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:44:57 am »

Sorry, what? Does 5:00 come twice a day now?

Oh, yes, I remember 5 AM. Back in college, that's what I called "bedtime."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 06:49:07 am »

Heeeey, remember when I jumped rope?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 02:02:01 pm »

Re: your shin splints/leg pains.  Stretch.  Stretch.  Stretch.  Before AND after you run.  Your yoga background should help you here -- think of the usual leg stretches (forward bends, Janu Shirsasana, Paschimotanasana) or standing balances to strengthen the lower leg muscles (Tree, Warrior 3, Standing Bow).

I would work on running continuously -- gradually upping the distance that you are actually running.  If you run regularly, the amount of progress you make (and make quickly) will surprise you.  As I've probably mentioned before, for me a huge part of running is mental -- finding that determination to just not stop.  I'm not saying that your run/walk method is bad, but if it were me I'd be trying to make the run parts longer and the walks shorter every day.  You CAN do it.

Also, if you have a smartphone, a run tracking application like Runkeeper is really useful and motivational.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 02:18:16 pm »

Re: your shin splints/leg pains.  Stretch.  Stretch.  Stretch.  Before AND after you run.  Your yoga background should help you here -- think of the usual leg stretches (forward bends, Janu Shirsasana, Paschimotanasana) or standing balances to strengthen the lower leg muscles (Tree, Warrior 3, Standing Bow).

Yes, I'm doing lots of this. Tons of Warrior 1&2, and trikonasana/triangle to get the hamstrings. Hadn't considered using balance poses to work the calves. Pedro doesn't stretch at all! I was horrified.

Also, if you have a smartphone, a run tracking application like Runkeeper is really useful and motivational.

I'm using Runkeeper alongside Zombies, Run. Those of you who know my real name can follow me on Twitter @[First][Last]; I've been tweeting my progress when I remember. I've also got a "health goals" circle on G+ for those who are interested in hearing about stuff there.

I've got a review of ZR in the pipeline; I'll post a link when it goes live. (I submitted it last night.)
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 02:25:34 pm »


I'm using Runkeeper alongside Zombies, Run.


Will you be my Runkeeper friend, JL?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 02:27:30 pm »

There are friends now? I haven't fucked with the social bit yet. Add me and I'll try to figure out how to accept. PM me if you need a username or something.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:18:59 pm »

I did what ended up being about a 14-minute mile today, alternating running and walking. I had taken more than a week off from actually running, but I kept up walking and iced my shins and did crazy amounts of stretches until the shin splints faded. Thanks for all the advice on getting those calmed down.

Today was the first day I've actually run at all, and I took jaydub's advice and sought out unpaved trails at a large park that happens to be adjacent to my kids' speech therapy office. I dropped Chaos Girl off for her 45-minute session and walked/ran almost two miles. It would have been more but I was worried about not being able to get back before her session ended -- next time I'll take the full loop instead of cutting across the community center parking lot. It's a great trail; shady, with soft mat and not a lot of roots or stones to trip you up. It's also where I run on Fridays when Chaos Girl has a dance class in the afternoons.

Ultimately, I would like to be able to run the full loop without walking (1.4 miles). It would be cool to be able to run it twice. But I would settle for being able to run it once and walk it once in the thirty minutes or so I have available (after allowing travel time to walk the quarter-mile to and from the clinic).

So there it is. A specific, attainable goal has emerged. I'll let you know how that works out.

In the meantime, thanks for all the advice. I am really starting to believe that there is more collective knowledge on this board than just about anywhere else on the planet.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 04:13:58 am »

I did what ended up being about a 14-minute mile today, alternating running and walking.

Good jerb!

Quote
Ultimately, I would like to be able to run the full loop without walking (1.4 miles). It would be cool to be able to run it twice. But I would settle for being able to run it once and walk it once in the thirty minutes or so I have available (after allowing travel time to walk the quarter-mile to and from the clinic).

So there it is. A specific, attainable goal has emerged. I'll let you know how that works out.

Excellent.  That's what I do.  I keep a goal in the back of my head and just keep after it.  I'm not so worried about how long it takes me to get there, as long as I'm making steady progress.  And then when I get there, I move the bar to the next one.  Current goal - 50 miles this month.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Runners (Advice?)
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 10:04:19 am »

I've been running with a guy that is ridiculously faster than me for the last month and a half or so. It is extremely aggravating during the runs themselves, but I'm getting faster, so I guess it's working.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up