Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: eBook readers?  (Read 7180 times)

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 763
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 633
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: eBook readers?
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 03:35:38 pm »

Not all urban fantasy deserves the guilt by association with "paranormal romance."
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

• Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 03:42:46 pm »

The Baroque Cycle is pretty damn wonderful too, especially if you like history.  Starts out a little of a slog, but after that it's about a 3000 page roller coaster ride through the intellectual history of the 17th century.

+1, i've bought this trilogy twice, sold it once, lost it once, and read it five times. sofa king good.
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

• Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 763
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 04:51:41 pm »

+1, i've bought this trilogy twice, sold it once, lost it once, and read it five times. sofa king good.

Back atcha.
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

• Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 447
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 09:16:36 pm »

You want trilogies?  How about the Gaean Trilogy by John Varley.  Don't know about whether there are e-editions or not.

John Varley is f'ing awesome. Didn't someone around here meet him or something?

Also, I kinda want to get an Ipad for the plane, but it's just so I stop renting the fuck*ng movie deal.
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 472
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 03:05:03 am »

You guys still liking these? My parents gave me a fancy-version Kindle for my birthday, but said they understood if I wanted to shop around and pick a different present. I was leaning towards the most basic Kindle until I realized they don't make one with a built-in keyboard anymore. Being able to make notes easily is a dealbreaker for me. I could always upgrade to the "Kindle Paperwhite" which seems great and has a touch-screen while still being e-ink. Looks like you guys all have the Nook, though.

My parents were so surprised that I don't want an iPad-type thing. I really just don't get the appeal when I have a laptop. Maybe if you live in a big house and have a desktop, like them, it makes sense.
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 12:24:08 pm »

The built in keyboard of the old Kindle is not exactly an easy way to make notes anyway.

I don't know what the new Kindles are like. I have an old Kindle and a Samsung tablet. I can read Kindle books on the tablet, but I don't like the interface or the screen. I am in favor of having an e-reader that is just an e-reader and does that job well.

I don't know how different iPads are but the tablet is really something I could live without. I bought the tablet so I didn't have to take my laptop to Japan, and it was great for that purpose, and I like still having it around, but it's totally a luxury. Basically it means sometimes I don't have to walk upstairs and get my laptop if I don't feel like squinting at the smartphone.

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

• Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 05:36:53 pm »

I like the nook for its simplicity. I have the SimpleTouch because too much time behind an LCD screen gives me eyestrain headaches. Between the Paperwhite and the Simpletouch I went with the Nook because I am a BN member anyway. If I had a tablet I would go with a kindle and get Amazon Prime.
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

• Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 604
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 06:48:21 pm »

I have the most basic Nook (fuck you Nook, I'm gonna capitalize your name because it's a proper noun) and I love the hell out of it. I'm reading pretty much everyday now which I hadn't done in quite some time.
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 472
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 07:59:30 pm »

If I get the kindle I can read all the books my parents buy, which would be great if we enjoyed the same kind of books. Hmmm.
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 09:03:20 pm »

Are you sure? Most Kindle books aren't shareable on more than one device.

jaydub

• VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2013, 09:16:39 pm »

My wife and I have Kindle apps for 4 devices and share an Amazon Prime account.  No issues reading the same book on different devices.  It may not permit you to read the same book on different devices at the same time.  This is not a permutation we have tested.  Our book tastes overlap in a rather narrow range, so this has never been a problem.
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2013, 10:02:14 pm »

I have Amazon Prime on my account, but the two of us have separate Amazon accounts and our Kindles are associated with those two separate accounts. I can share the free shipping with his separate account, but I don't see a way to share the Kindle books. I'd be thrilled if someone could tell me I am missing something.

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 12:18:30 am »

I can have one of my books on all of my own hardware, that's not the issue. It's that I can't send it to hardware that's not associated with my own account. If we'd thought ahead we could have added his Kindle to my account instead of his, but that's not how we did it. There are some books that are lendable - you will see this in their Amazon listing. But most publishers aren't allowing this feature. Even for the ones that do, it's restricted how often you can lend. It's not like owning a physical book.

Arachno-capitalist

• Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2013, 03:06:57 am »

Re:Inev

Take the kindle fire or whatever and sign up for amazon prime. I own the original kindle with the physical keyboard and the keyboard sucks. I also have an android tablet of some sort that I haven't used in so long I've forgotten what it is or where to find it. On the occasions I have used it I always think "man this is neat. It does everything my phone does and the games are bigger and easier to use." Then I walk out the door with my phone and forget about it for a few weeks.
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up