Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: eBook readers?  (Read 7175 times)

side_show

• Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
    • View Profile
Re: eBook readers?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 03:39:22 pm »

I have the kobomini, which has the no-glare screen with eInk.  It's easy on the eyes reading wise, in direct sunlight or shade, and all I really wanted was something compact but highly readable to transport a bunch of books without the bulk.  It has WiFi, but the only time I've ever used it is when I'm lying in bed and my iPhone is out of reach.  I use calibre to convert books I've downloaded in different formats into ePub's, and I've never had any major problem transferring various content from other formats if I convert them this way.  Occasionally things are just slightly wonky if converted from another format, but not in a way that makes reading impossible or anything, just a bit of odd formatting or spacing on occasion, though usually it's surprisingly smooth, and considering I never see the files in their original formats, it's entirely possible that the formatting problems occurred in the original versions before conversion.

edit: Because I'm still friends with my old boss at the used book store, I find I tend to fall back on reading printed books more than I expected.  It was only after writing this post that it occured to me that the big, bulky book I'm reading now is probably available for download, and it is.  Since I paid for the printed version, I feel no guilt in downloading it so I can have a portable version, which means taking only the kobo to the hospital with me, instead of lugging around four books.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 03:44:44 pm by side_show »
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 472
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 02:27:42 am »

Went and bought the Kindle Paperwhite and I am pretty much all about it. Downloaded a ton of Project Gutenburg books. Really enjoying the "my clippings" function already (it lists all of your highlighted passages from all of the books in your library).

The guy at the store was trying to talk me into a full tablet and talking all kinds of shit about how lame e-readers are. Not helpful, guy.

Debt: The First 5,000 Years (Graeber, David)
- Your Highlight Location 6572-6573 | Added on Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:09:20 PM

It is out of such homely experience of everyday communism that grand mythic visions are always built.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:30:59 am by theinevitable »
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 07:28:59 pm »

This thing is incredible. I am reading a ton, way more than I read before. I feel the way I did in elementary school-- whatever I'm doing, I want to be done with it so I can read. The other day I found myself taking the stairs instead of the elevator to where I was parked on the 13th floor, because I wanted to have a little longer to read before I got in the car.

I am not sure what it is about this silly gadget that is having this effect. Definitely part of it is that I have almost any book I want to read at my fingertips in seconds. I am resisting binge-buying and trying to only buy something new when I am done with the previous book. Free project Gutenberg books are helping.
Social pressures exist

theinevitable

• Writer's Workshoppers
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 08:54:18 pm »

No, I would never do that, because then Wombat would be disappointed in me and maybe I would stop existing.

Also, weird social science books are not available on those websites. At least all the ones I have looked at. I found a blog that used to post "anarchist social science" which had a ton of stuff I wanted, but they were all dead mediafire links.
Social pressures exist

wombat

• English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 633
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 12:47:05 am »

No, I would never do that, because then Wombat would be disappointed in me and maybe I would stop existing.

Good figment!
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

• VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2013, 03:12:38 pm »

lets say i was going to buy a tablet(samsung galaxy tab (10.1") has caught my fancy).  i can get it on amazon for $329, but i can get a refurbed one from a department store for $100 less.  any tech-savvy dudes/dudettes have some feedback? 
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up