Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: April Fools' Day  (Read 2836 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
April Fools' Day
« on: April 01, 2012, 09:48:15 pm »

I like and April Fools' Day prank now and then, especially on the net, where it's nice and harmless.

This year the greatest hit for me is Google Maps 8 Bit deal  I can go right down to street view and see my house in 8 Bit glory, and had some fun finding monsters and looking a world monuments this morning.

I also like this Ikea recall.

Apparently the BBC had an article about the world blowing up.

I liked this isoHunt one from last year too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April Fools' Day
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:38:00 pm »

I thought the Google Maps was slightly less awesome when I realized there was no way to interact with the monsters and such.

xkcd did a thing where the comic was different depending on your location/browser/ISP/referrer.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: April Fools' Day
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 02:41:07 am »

I didn't see any monsters.  Am I doing it wrong?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: April Fools' Day
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 02:52:15 am »

There's a monster in the "wooded" area South West of Mt. Fuji that I found.  Hubby recognized it as being from some game.  I also found some other characters (not actually monsters) but I can't recall where.  I too was disappointed that you couldn't do anything with the monsters.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: April Fools' Day
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 03:36:29 am »

I still thought the 8-bit thing was really cool. Too cool for a prank because good pranks should fool people and not just be fun to play with. That didn't fool anybody.

This Oregon fan site got me with one of their fake headlines, about their brand new arena being declared structurally unsound. It was like the first thing I read in the morning and I was really tired, but it probably would have tricked me in a more alert state.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: April Fools' Day
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 04:15:02 am »

I did notice that they've updated their photo from in front of my house.  The artcar is in the picture now.  Now that the artcar lives somewhere else it's started showing up on Google maps.  Weird.  I wonder, if I bring the artcar back will it disappear from Google maps?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: April Fools' Day
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 01:51:24 pm »

I am reading the reddit thread about the xkcd thing and it's brilliant. Except... that when I looked at the comic that day I had no idea other people were seeing different ones. It didn't seem that improbable that the comic happened to be about where I live.

So I guess the point was,  the joke was only for people who are so steeped in the Internet that they would eventually stumble over something like that reddit thread? Although I guess in some cases (the ones for particular companies) they would realize something was up right away.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: April Fools' Day
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 02:25:58 pm »

link plz?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: April Fools' Day
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 02:32:30 pm »

If you scroll down someone has collected them all in one comment but I don't know how to link directly to that comment and I don't have time to figure it out right now.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: April Fools' Day
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »

I am reading the reddit thread about the xkcd thing and it's brilliant. Except... that when I looked at the comic that day I had no idea other people were seeing different ones. It didn't seem that improbable that the comic happened to be about where I live.

So I guess the point was,  the joke was only for people who are so steeped in the Internet that they would eventually stumble over something like that reddit thread? Although I guess in some cases (the ones for particular companies) they would realize something was up right away.

I'm guessing the percentage of "people who read xkcd but not reddit" is way lower than for most other places.

Paul, check here: http://g.co/maps/64rzr
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: April Fools' Day
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 05:40:52 am »

So I guess the point was,  the joke was only for people who are so steeped in the Internet that they would eventually stumble over something like that reddit thread? Although I guess in some cases (the ones for particular companies) they would realize something was up right away.

I assumed every comic has its own TOUAMB and that the members were confused because they weren't getting the references in other posts.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1]   Go Up