Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Poll

Well, is it doughnut or donut?

Doughnut
- 6 (40%)
Donut
- 7 (46.7%)
Beignet
- 0 (0%)
A low-down dirty way to make a buck
- 2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15


Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Doughnut or Donut  (Read 7906 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Doughnut or Donut
« on: April 18, 2012, 05:22:33 am »

Now I'm really curious. Is it some kind of fucked up regional thing? A class thing? By my count, we have a Canuck, a dude who has spent his life split between the Pacific Northwest and the Mountain West (me) and a young man in St. Louis spelling it donut. And then a southern gal (right JL?), one of Ian MacKaye's neighbors and a guy who splits his time between Portland and Alaska spelling it doughnut.

What's the consensus of the board?

I'm not trying to start an argument, and I can't imagine anyone really cares enough for one anyway, but if I were, this ought to settle it:



And if not, this should:

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 05:37:05 am »

first vote cast, and it's for donut. this is one of very few cases in which i lean descriptivist.



ohhhh shiiiiiiiiiiit
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 06:17:53 am »

For me it's a doughnut, but I ain't mad at donuts.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 06:18:36 am »

i picked "donut" because i am lazy.  i just want to eat the sumbitches.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:58:41 pm »

I always write doughnut because I have it stuck in my head that the donut spelling is a brand name. Kind of like how back in the day spelling on-line without the hyphen would get you sued back to the stone age by AOL. That plus Firefox's spell checker doesn't recognize it.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »

I don't care how you spell it as long as you make the kind that is sort of rectangular with raspberry jam inside and granulated sugar on the outside.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 02:40:09 pm »

I don't care how you spell it as long as you make the kind that is sort of rectangular with raspberry jam inside and granulated sugar on the outside.

I like how you have skin in the doughnut game.

For me, it's just that the producer that I linked to calls what they make doughnuts. Everybody else can be making donuts and I'm good with that. It's perfectly cromulent.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 02:44:22 pm »

Of course,

vs.


Which is it, then? Where does your loyalty fall?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 03:42:40 pm »



This is my original fried dough-ring heaven, so you'd think I'd be a 'donut' guy, but I guess I always thought I was better than everyone else.

Driving back from church sometimes my dad would act like he'd lost control of the steering wheel, making him involuntarily turn left instead of the usual right.  Then he'd be all, 'Welp, guess we better park at Peterson's while I figure out what went wrong with the car.

Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 04:03:06 pm »

Your dad sounds pretty awesome.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:04:37 pm »

I am a naturalized southerner, but I  spent my formative years in the midwest. My accent and dialect are so fucked up at this point that hardly anyone can tell where I'm from any more.

But yeah, it's doughnut. As in Krispy Kreme. Dropping three letters is just laziness.

It's what's wrong with America.

And what Wombles is describing is a beignet.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 04:10:05 pm »

i have yet to find a glazed as good as a krispy kreme, but i'm bummed out that they discontinued the boston kreme. eclair meets the perfect glazed? heaven in a slip of wax paper.

on the other hand, dunkin has munchkins which just rock by the box.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 04:25:14 pm »

I am a naturalized southerner, but I  spent my formative years in the midwest. My accent and dialect are so fucked up at this point that hardly anyone can tell where I'm from any more.
I am totally understanding this, I can tell you.

But yeah, it's doughnut. As in Krispy Kreme. Dropping three letters is just laziness.
But throwing in krazy K's where C's should be is kool.

It's what's wrong with America.

And what Wombles is describing is a beignet.
OH DAAAAMN!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 04:28:08 pm »

i have yet to find a glazed as good as a krispy kreme, but i'm bummed out that they discontinued the boston kreme. eclair meets the perfect glazed? heaven in a slip of wax paper.

on the other hand, dunkin has munchkins which just rock by the box.


I thought that an eclair was filled with gross nasty ol' cream while Boston Cream is filled with wonderful delicious custard.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Doughnut or Donut
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 05:02:24 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
... Once cool, the pastry then is filled with a coffee- or chocolate-flavoured[1] pastry cream (crème pâtissière), custard, whipped cream, or chiboust cream; and iced with fondant icing.[2] Other fillings include pistachio- and rum-flavoured custard, fruit-flavoured fillings, or chestnut purée. The icing is sometimes caramel, in which case the dessert may be called a bâton de Jacob.

i can't see any reason for any variation other than custard, personally
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up