Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlists with a Purpose  (Read 3950 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Playlists with a Purpose
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 01:15:32 am »

A music blog I like has a section where people post these sorts of playlists, such as Songs that make me want to drink heavily after a day of heavy drinking and Songs to blast from the car windows on an impromptu beach roadtrip

I believe you can also post a title and request a mixtape based on that title.

As far as instrumental soundtracks go I've always been partial to Joe Hiachi's work for Miyazaki's movies, especially Spirited Away. I must have listened to that album a thousand times in a few months. As far as actual bands, I really like this Blind Idiot God album, pretty much anything by Grails, Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, A Silver Mount Zion, and The fuck*ng Champs.

I haven't made a mixtape since I made one for the touamb exchange and never mailed it to anyone since that was a little too scary (yet I will enthusiastically throw myself down a mountain on any number of contraptions).
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Playlists with a Purpose
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 02:32:49 am »

As far as actual bands, I really like this Blind Idiot God

I went to college with the bass player, Gabe something.  I remember partying with him one night, having a really cool intense conversation and agreeing that my true vocation was "Appropriate Nomenclature".  He couldn't play for shit then and had just picked up the guitar a few weeks before, I think.  I remember he was a really funny/interesting guy and I enjoyed talking to him.  Somebody told me a couple years later that he had formed a band called Blind Idiot God and moved to New York and played with John Zorn.  Good for him!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Playlists with a Purpose
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 05:37:03 am »

I drove down to Vegas on Friday and happened upon a playlist with no purpose by chance, but it works pretty well as a mix. When I connect my iPod to the USB port in my car, it often defaults to an "all songs" list in alphabetical order. Instead of looking for something else I decided to let it play for a while. I skipped a couple tracks but this is what it looks like:

The Gits - A
Vampire Weekend - A-Punk
Grandaddy - A.M. 180
Cass McCombs - A.Y.D.
The American Analogue Set - Aaron & Maria
Robyn Hitchcock - The Abandoned Brain
The Flaming Lips - The Abandoned Hospital Ship
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Abba Zaba
The Jackson 5 - ABC
The Mekons -- Abernant 1984/5
The Magnetic Fields -- Abigail, Belle of Kilronan

So, turns out it doesn't sound as good on second listen, but it sounded fuck*ng awesome in the car. Also, I don't think I had ever listened to The Abandoned Brain before because it's on this rarities compilation I never got around to playing. It was part of a box set I bought a few years ago. It's a great song.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up