Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.  (Read 11665 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 01:44:47 am »

And as Aug predicted, this comes back around to "I love guitarists who are not very good, technically, at playing the guitar."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 02:09:53 am »

Man this thread is all Danger! Danger!

Everybody here is down with Manos and Zardoz though, right?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2012, 03:46:04 am »

Hey, remember when I was all:

I thought it wouldn't hurt to try to start a discussion on paintings and sculptures and such.

Oops.

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

I like paintings/prints of buildings. I just got this one framed.

I also like Edward Hopper.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 04:06:01 am »

Man this thread is all Danger! Danger!

Everybody here is down with Manos and Zardoz though, right?

the only manos i can tolerate is the MST3K version, and even thats pushing it.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 06:19:46 am »

Look at this bullshit.

Well yeah, okay, you can keep that, but the Rothko Chapel makes up for it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 12:10:14 pm »

I like paintings/prints of buildings. I just got this one framed.

That is a nice thing, I don't care if it's art or not.

As for guitarists who aren't very good technically at playing the guitar: When we say that, aren't we still usually talking about people who play the guitar much better than any of us could ever aspire to? We're not talking about, like, those kids on YouTube who really shouldn't be posting videos of themselves playing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 12:43:49 pm »

Rock on!  I love these kind of discussions.

I don't think you need any training to experience an emotional reaction to certain colours.  I really, really don't.  I had a recent conversation with my sister in law (who is child who has had no artistic or psychological training of almost any kind) about the colours she loves and the colours she hates - how she recently dared to buy a yellow shirt for the first time, even though my mother in law hates yellow, and how she hates red, even though red is my favorite colour.  How both her and I and my mother in law don't like pink.  We talked about the broad variety of reds, and how some are warm and others are cold.  How some reds make her feel stressed or angry, while for me some reds make me feel powerful.  My husband piped in and said "red is passionate." "Or like blood." You can have that conversation with almost anyone of any culture, of almost any age.  Colour psychology, as far as I'm concerned is a real science.  It is extremely rare to find someone who doesn't have a bias toward certain colours or to find a culture where colours aren't assigned relationships to emotions - colours for mourning, colours for celebration, colours for neutral spaces.


Here's and example using the Rothko painting I had the most immediate emotional response to:



What emotional response do you have to these colours?  And to go deeper, what does your response remind you of in your own life?  

This is not to say you have to like the painting.  I don't like this painting, even on the small scale of looking at it on a screen it makes me uncomfortable and I wouldn't want to hang it in my home (it's 80.0 in × 69.1 in) but I can't deny that it elicits specific and strong emotions from me and prompted a memory of some of my darkest (not pun intended) times.  I do contend that, universally if you showed this painting to various people, and asked them these two questions,  you'd get a myriad of different, fascinating and very personal answers, but that the majority of people would be able to answer both questions.  More interestingly, I think their responses would change day to day, and that's interesting too.  If you read about Rothko, his desire was to be universal, not to exclude, which is the opposite of a circle jerk.  If you look at the chapel Paul posts about, it looks like a suitable place for people of any belief system, including an atheist like myself, to go a mourn (though I shudder to think of anyone getting married there even thought the chapel's website lists it as an option).

On the other hand, we can have a conversation about whether Rothko's work is pretentious, or if abstract expressionism more broadly is pretentious.  What can I say... all art, on some levels is about navel gazing, and this art form is about looking inward more so than many others.  It can be pretentious, self absorbed and self serving to look inward for sure.  Reversely it can be meditative and therapeutic.  I can't deny that when I go to an art gallery, I prefer to whizz past most of the abstract pieces because they fail to engage me in an immediate way.  I feel embarrassed to get into a meditative state in a public place because it looks so self absorbed.  When I turn to art, I'm not typically looking to be reminded of myself, but rather to be reminded of my connection to others, which is why my preference is to performance and sitting in audiences.  But what floats my boat is different than what floats another person's boat.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:11:22 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 01:11:03 pm »

i like it, it looks like the view from a window on the moon
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 05:49:43 pm »

I'll bet there are five or ten regular posters who play guitar better than many people who have recording contracts.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 05:54:01 pm »

what nabu said. And not including myself, I am pretty shit at guitar. But there are definitely bands that I like where the guitarists are at my skill level.

But part of that is that in rock music, when we talk about being a good guitar player, we partially mean being able to write songs, in addition to technical playing ability. The technically unimpressive guitarists in bands that I like can write songs that are way better than the stuff I come up with.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 06:09:38 pm »

I also bet every poster on here could name five to ten singers who are less skilled than Celine Dion who we prefer to Celine Dion too.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »

It is totally fair for someone to have a recording contract because they are a great songwriter even if they are not a virtuoso player. But I would not call someone a good guitar player because they were a good songwriter. Why not just say they are a good songwriter? These things are not difficult to tease apart.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 06:46:16 pm »

I know there are at least five writers here that I think are better at it than Dean Koontz, for whatever that is worth.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 07:52:27 pm »

I think we can all agree that skill by itself does not produce art. The harder question is the one about art that does not require skill.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Art. You know, paintings and sculptures and such.
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 11:57:06 pm »

I think we can all agree that skill by itself does not produce art.

This is the crux of the issue. A shitty guitar player that rights great songs is much better than a highly skilled guitar player that writes terrible songs.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up